Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 October 2003
This should have been a fascinating read, after all, Kelly Slater has dominated the surfing scene like no one else before and is still considered by many as one of the most powerful surfers around today. However, what we actually get is none of the passion of Kelly's surfing and weak writing lets down what could have been a fascinating story. It all too often has the feel of a school project and even the climax of a world championship fought out in the finals of the Pipemasters contest in Hawaii fails to conjure up the tension it should.

All surfers should find this an interesting enough read, but Kelly should have employed the services of a biographer to tell his story. Not in the same league as Tony Hawk's autobiography.
on 2 March 2008
Gives an honest insight into the personal and competitive life of one of the world's greatest surfers. A very easy to read book which made a refreshing change from the highly descriptive dribble that I have been reading of late.
on 14 April 2016
Bought this a while back but never bothered reviewing it as didn't really do that sort thing. Now, I like doing reviews so am playing catch-up.

I bought this for my eldest son who just loves surfing. The story is of a surfing legend and even for me as a non-surfer was an interesting read.

You you or know someone who loves surfing, then this is a must.
on 14 June 2014
This was a very earnest and enjoyable read. At times it seems painfully honest and forthright. Once I started reading it I couldn't put it down and I felt quite sad to finish it. I hope Kelly Slater considers writing another instalment soon.
on 23 December 2013
it is a stocking filler for mu surf addicted 15 year old son. I have to admit to a sneaky read when it arrived. He will
really enjoy it.
The service was great . It arrived in plenty of time.
Thanks.
on 8 January 2014
Ordered this book for my surf mad boyfriend and gave it to him for Christmas he was over the moon with it can't comment on content as he's saving it for his tour but was well packaged and arrived on time
on 30 January 2015
Bought this for my partner, who is in the middle of reading it and is thoroughly enjoying it. The cover was slightly dog eared but for £3 including delivery, definitely a bargain.
on 27 January 2008
Kelly Slater is my hero. Has been since I was 6 years old, and this book was just brilliant. All the storys of his childhood were deep, some hillarious, some moving. I found it truly fasinating to be seeing things from his point of view, everything from surf comps to touring the world, to staying down here in Cornwall freezing his whatsits off.

Brilliant read... I think i'll go read it again now!
on 1 February 2015
It was an excellent book, although some of the pages came loose. Overall a interesting and honest account of Kelly's life.
on 28 September 2009
Well I'm new to the world of surfing but everyone has heard of Kelly Slater havent they!?!

Good book, well written and interjected with pictures to break up the page after page of words that often stop my mind concentrating! ha ha

I found it a good inside angle on what it takes to be a pro surfer and legend of surfing no less!

I finished reading hte book thinking that I could emphasise with the surfing community for disliking Mr Slatter but its actually a really good book.

I had a week off and read it cover to cover within 4 days and I aint a reader type!