- Hardcover: 368 pages
- Publisher: A & C Black Publishers Ltd; New & Best Edition edition (31 May 2002)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0713659459
- ISBN-13: 978-0713659450
- Product Dimensions: 19.5 x 25.7 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 210,931 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Pioneer Pottery (Ceramics) Hardcover – 31 May 2002
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
More About the Author
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
After an accurate account of the chemistry and geological processes behind clay and glazes, the author describes how he applied these ideas in a practical way after WW2 where he set up a stoneware pottery in the Nigerial town of Abudja.
All the practical aspects of making, decorating and firing are covered. Cardew even tells us how to find and process our own clays, make house bricks, fire bricks and refractories. Though I suspect most of us will be buying these from the pottery supplier, it is enlightening to learn how a "pioneer" achieves these things.
The book is completed by a thoughtful essay on the role of the potter craftsman in modern society.
A "must" in any pottery library.