One of O'Reilly's long-established 'Missing Manual' series that individually cover an established and market-leading software product. They are mostly practical in their content and can be relied upon to cover the most commonly-used and useful features. Rarely-used features, if and where they exist, are usually either ignored or mentioned rather briefly in order not to overload the reader.

Photoshop Elements has been Photoshop's baby brother for many years and offers most, if not all, of the features from Photoshop that the average non-power user is likely to need. Admittedly, many more advanced and infrequently needed features have been left out and probably always will be but the products sell at very different prices - Photoshop is no longer sold as a full commercial package and can only be obtained on a monthly or annual subscription. Elements also recognises that many photographers submit photos to sites that require some technical or other information and provides a photo management facility that its big brother omits. For those who work exclusively in RAW mode or who use it sometimes, Camera RAW is included in the package and the book uses many of its pages to cover that important function in some depth.

This book has for several years mirrored Photoshop Elements' various releases and is updated whenever a new version appears. Sometimes, features previously offered by the software may be removed or modified in the current version and the book tends to list those as and when they happen, and that is no less true for this update. All the program's possibilities are covered in a friendly and ususally easily understood fashion. For those features where there may be several steps, and photo optimisation where colour balance, noise reduction, contrast and brightness (levels) and other image properties may be changed are covered in a logical and progressive fashion.

In addition to its main chapters there are appendices including one for installation, and a comprehensive and seemingly complete Index. If there is an omission, it is that of a Glossary which may be helpful for the less experienced photographer or one unused to the program. However most unfamiliar terminology used could, if necessary, be researched on-line with ease and speed.

One of a relative few books that cover this affordable and important graphics management package. There are so few relative to Photoshop that you could easily and quite quickly compare them all at a good bookshop and decide which best suits your personal needs. It is certainly worth consideration and purchase at the lower prices offered by Amazon.
on 5 February 2014
Photoshop Elements 12 is, like its predecessors, a powerful program but with its wealth of features not particularly easy to learn. I have found the Kindle version of this book to be a good buy and a better guide than the rival publications I have bought in the past.
Like others, I have found the lack of an Index a nuisance, but the linked topic headings in the Table of Contents is a help.
My 'work-around' has been print the Contents, complete with page numbers, from the PDF version and then use the handy navigation feature in the Kindle to home in quickly on the relevant page and topic.
on 11 November 2013
Everything you need to know about PSE 12, but my God it is difficult to find quickly. PSE 12 is wonderful, but this product is slow over complicated, and the index is abysmal. I wouldn't bother with it, PSE 12 is pretty good if you delve into it. Don't buy this guide it is overcomplicated.
on 7 May 2015
Photoshop Elements 12 (PSE) is not at all intuitive even for an IT expert. I thought I had wasted my money buying it and was considering buying something else - which would be quite an expense not only for the cost of a worthy replacement but also the wasted investment in PSE.

Then I discovered this book and guess what? I found I had everything I needed in PSE - I just needed some expert guidance as to how to unlock its secrets.

Barbara's book is a truly excellent piece of work. Her understanding of what PSE is capable of and how to get it done is excellent as is her expert and interesting articulation onto the written page with downloadable examples that you can try for yourself. I am about 85% of the way through this book now and it was worth every penny. Although I've read it cover to cover it is full of hyperlinks that jump from one section to other related sections and it has an excellent Contents and Index all hyperlinked to the relevant blocks of text making it also a truly useful reference book as you can easily find anything. There are also hyperlinks to useful resources on the internet.

Also of great value is the great number of embedded TIPS panels - here Barbara has accurately predicted what people would want to actually use PSE for at this point and has intuitively presented just the example you wanted.

The ideas in this book led me to seek out more on the internet and has completely changed my view on photography and what makes a really good photo as compared to just an average one.

My competency level has risen quite high now but I still need more understanding of layer blend modes - although the book covers these, they are tricky to understand, many are counter-intuitive (with things getting lighter when you'd have expected them to get darker etc) so perhaps the book could give more examples of blending, or perhaps I just need to re-read that section a few more times.

Anyway - great book, great author, excellent value for money not only for the book itself but because it enables you to unlock the value in your purchase of Photoshop Elements.
on 12 December 2013
Just what I needed!! I upgraded from PSE9 and Adobe has given Elements a complete makeover and despite all the 'how to' videos etc. a book was needed and this filled all the criteria and more.
on 31 December 2013
This book is very well written. I have been learning how to use the Photoshop elements 12 programme using this book. I find it better than trying to use the help supplied with the programme as the book explains everything in terms I understand and I can follow the instructions from the book as I go along. It is a very comprehensive guide. However it can become a bit overwhelming sometimes, as there is so much to take in. This is probably down to me rather than the book. I would recommend this book if you are wanting to learn about Photoshop elements 12 and how to use it, as long as you have time to really sit down and go through the basics.
on 6 June 2014
The manual arrived in new and good condition. It is adequately written for using the photo application and will help me edit my images
on 17 July 2015
Very worthwhile book that explains everything is sufficient detail and clearly.
I am glad that I bought this book rather that any of the others available.
It is also a lot thicker than some of the others, so that should indicate that it has more content.
There is no need to read it all in one go , just read the bits that you need each time.
on 13 January 2014
This book is clearly written and helpful. I haven't yet found the way to move to other chapters on the Ipad, other than going through the book systematically. Maybe it is lack of experience on my part. I have the Kindle edition. I would have given five stars otherwise as the book is very understandable.
on 23 February 2014
I am always surprised that software comes with no manual. However this series of missing manuals is very good and covers all of those complex technical areas.