Basics: 2006, softcover, 154 pages, 328 color photos, 152 species, no range maps
This is a small book offering a small sample of birds found on the Indian subcontinent. Of the 1,300+ plus birds expected in this region, only 152 (12%) are covered in this book. The author selected a smattering of species to cover the key families.
The photographs are good and show the birds up close. Nearly all the birds have at least two photos; many have three or four.
The text is a brief, general overview of the bird's habits.
Basically, this book as an introductory sampler to some of India's birds, offered in a good photographic format. It does not offer much information, but might be enjoyed just as a cursory overview for those people curious about birds or, as a small quiz for practicing with the photos.
I've listed several related books below...
1) A Photographic Guide to the Birds of India by Grewal/Harvey/Pfister
2) Birds of Western Ghats, Kokan & Malabar by Pande
3) Photographic Guide to Birds of India and Nepal by Grewal
4) Birds of the Indian Subcontinent by Grewal
5) Birds of Northern India by Grimmett/Inskipp
6) Birds Of Southern India by Grimmett/Inskipp
7) Birds of South Asia: Volumes 1 & 2 by Rassmussen
8) A Guide to the Birds of India... by Grimmett/Inskipp
9) Birds of India... by Grimmett/Inskipp
10) A Field Guide to the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent by Kazmierczak