‘Philosophy: The Basics deservedly remains the most recommended introduction to philosophy on the market. Warburton is patient, accurate and, above all, clear. There is no better short introduction to philosophy.’ - Stephen Law, author of The Philosophy Gym
Philosophy: The Basics gently eases the reader into the world of philosophy. Each chapter considers a key area of philosophy, explaining and exploring the basic ideas and themes including:
- Can you prove God exists?
- How do we know right from wrong?
- What are the limits of free speech?
- Do you know how science works?
- Is your mind different from your body?
- Can you deﬁne art?
- How should we treat non-human animals?
For the fifth edition of this best-selling book, Nigel Warburton has added an entirely new chapter on animals, revised others and brought the further reading sections up to date. If you’ve ever asked ‘what is philosophy?’, or wondered whether the world is really the way you think it is, this is the book for you.