Philosophy for AS is the definitive textbook for students of the current AQA Advanced Subsidiary Level. Structured closely around the examination specifications, it covers the two units of the AS Level in an exceptionally clear and student-friendly style. As an invitation to philosophy, the book encourages and enables students to engage philosophically with the following syllabus topics:
- reason and experience
- Why should I be governed?
- Why should I be moral?
- the idea of God
- knowledge of the external world
- the value of art
- God and the world
- the debate about free will and determinism.
Each chapter contains an introduction to the basic ideas, arguments and objections of the issue, and a development section, which clarifies the previous material, introduces more complex ideas, and encourages students to link up ideas and draw new implications. To aid student learning and revision, each chapter includes:
- comprehension questions to test core knowledge
- discussion questions to deepen understanding
- 'going further' sections for advanced study
- cross-references to help students make connections
- helpful summaries and a glossary.
In addition, a chapter on exam preparation contains a wealth of helpful hints and tips on revision and exam techniques.
Written by an experienced philosopher and A Level consultant, Philosophy for AS is an essential course book for all students of AS Level philosophy.