Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a big fan of the Sonicare toothbrushes. I have the Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer, which is the best toothbrush I've ever had, but it is a bit pricey. I was delighted to get the chance to review this model, which I thought I would keep as my travel toothbrush. This brush has none of the bells and whistles of the Platinum model - there is one standard cleaning mode, one speed and it comes with a travel type charger and just one sensitive brush head. It has all the great sonicate technology when it comes to the brushing experience though, and many of us only use one mode day in day out anyhow. This toothbrush builds in power over its first 14 uses so that you can get used to the sonic vibration. There is no way of reducing this if you are already accustomed to it.

I am delighted with the toothbrush which does a great job and which delivers good value for money - especially when it is on offer, which it is at the moment. I have removed one star simply because of the plaque removal between teeth is only 2X manual brushing. If you can afford it then I'd recommend the Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer

Pros
+ Design is good - though the travel type charger is not as robust to use as other Sonicare chargers and the brush itself
+ Charge holds for 3 weeks
+ Sensitive brush head (which is supposed to be 25% softer than the ProResults model and certainly feels softer) but you can use up any from previous models too and this has reminder bristles to remind you to change the brush head
+ Good for those with braces or dental restorations
+ 2 minute tracker time with 30 second pacer to remind you to move on to the next section of your mouth
+ 31,000 brush strokes per minute
+ removable battery

Cons
- My sonicare platinum toothbrush does clean better. This claims 2X better than manual for plaque removal whereas the platinum claims 7X

Recommended
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sonicare or Oral-B? I've used both brands over the years. It's hard to choose between them but this is certainly an excellent brush.

I'm using three electric brushes at the moment - Oral-B Triumph 5000, Oral-B Sonic and this Sonicare, alternating between them. I reckon it's worth using two (or more) different types, if you don't mind the outlay, so that your teeth benefit from two different actions and brush heads every day. It won't cost any more, in the long run, because with half the normal use the brushes and heads last twice as long.

All three brushes have their strengths and weaknesses and I don't have a strong preference.

The good things about this one are:

* Pleasant to use and to good effect, with a nice, gentle action (I wouldn't like to say whether the soft brush heads do a better or worse job than stiffer ones)
* The battery is replaceable! That gives it a huge advantage over Oral-B units that tend to need replacing every few years when the batteries die.

Not so good:

* Only one brush head supplied (same applies to current Oral-Bs, I believe)
* No Oral-B-style coloured rings to differentiate between heads, if more than one person uses the brush
* Bulkier than some and not very stable on its light-weight base
* Annoyingly switches off after two minutes - if you're not quite finished and want longer, you have to switch it back on
* No travel case

That sounds like quite a few negatives but they're fairly trivial. Given the 28-day satisfaction guarantee from Philips, you have little to lose by trying the brush, and that's what I'd recommend, if you think it might be the right one for you.
on 22 September 2014
Good entry level toothbrush if your new to the sonicare range. Cleans and helps whiten teeth. I bought this for my mother as she wanted a better toothbrush than the manual offering she had. It has helped whiten her teeth (smoker) and overall she is reporting that her teeth feel much cleaner. Also this was a bargain at the sale price of £25!
on 26 October 2015
I've tried other well-known electric toothbrushes in the past, but find the Philips Sonicare much the best. The sensitive head is excellent for cleaning teeth without encouraging gums to recede. I was told by several dentists and hygienists, the importance of using soft-bristled toothbrushes, for that very reason. This model is very soft-bristled, but not at the expense of cleaning teeth - which it does very efficiently.
on 16 June 2016
Bought this for my wife who has used an Oral B 2000 with floss action heads for the last few years. We changed because the battery life is terrible on the Oral B nothing worse than being half way through cleaning your teeth and the battery running out of juice. My wife used the Sonicare for a couple of days and decided it was making her teeth sensitive so gave up and I took over. The plus is the amazing battery - haven't recharged it in over 3 weeks using it twice a day for the full 2 minutes until it switches off. It allegedly will inform me when it's at 20% so I can recharge it before it runs out as apposed to the Oral B which flashes it's LED as it runs out midway through cleaning my teeth. The ultrasonics are a different feel to Oral B which takes a couple of days to get used to but for me changing wasn't an issue.

The minuses - I think it cleans less well between my teeth meaning I have to floss more than with the Oral B. However having said that I still flossed with the Oral B so not sure it's a significant minus.

If Oral B had a better battery life I would stick with them as their heads are cheaper, they clean marginally better and experience says if you can put up with recharging every few days they last about 5 years. Other reviews query the life expectancy of the Philips which I can't comment on yet but I'm going to continue with the Sonicare and have no plans to buy an Oral B.
on 24 March 2016
We all have this product in our home but it was our 1st purchase of a 'sensitive' one. The toothbrush is the same as others the only difference I can see is the head, it feels softer.
The purchase was for my wife and after a week she claims it has helped her sensitive teeth.

Big disappointment is only 1 head in the box but I can't Mark down because no one promised more.
on 30 December 2015
I am still adjusting to this after a conventional electric toothbrush. The first time I used it I thought it had been a real waste of money as the brush barely moves and is very soft so making any scrubbing movement is pointless. But I carried on for the instructed 2 minutes and my teeth were absolutely squeaky clean. The sonic wave just blasts off the plaque effortlessly and almost noiselessly. Brilliant cleaning and very gentle on gums.
on 19 December 2014
great toothbrush, long charge, and leaves your teeth feeling like you just come from the dentist after having clean & polish, sorry I did not buy sooner, did lots or research, and just took a chance with this one, for once got it right...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Philips Sonicare HX6511 is available in three different brush head fittings with this particular model having a sensitive brush in the pack. The handle and functions are the same but you are able to buy a head which suits your personal needs rather than a factory standard. Mind you, the price seems to differ depending on which one you want and it might even be prudent to check the prices of the other models on Amazon (at the time of writing the HX6511/50 was considerably cheaper Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Toothbrush).

I've used this type of Sonicare brush for some time and I'm very pleased with the results I get; my dentist usually comments on how clean my teeth and gums are so I must be doing something right. This particular brush is good to hold with a pleasant shape and good grip and is nicely balanced in the hand. It does last ages between charges too which I find to be a great bonus, particularly when travelling since it means that I can often go without taking the charger too. One tip I have is to rinse the mouth with water beforehand since it helps with the sonic cleaning action, but it's also worth trying the other brush heads in the range to find your own preference. I expect that this brush will last years (just like my old ones) and have no qualms in recommending it although I do wish the price of the replacement brush heads was lower.
on 15 January 2015
Let me start by saying that as soon as I heard about the Sonicare toothbrush range years ago I wanted one. I finally saw this and decided to go for it as my old Oral B was a little long in the tooth (pun intended).

Lets start with the positive.
- It looks great
- Its physically a very well put together piece of equipment
- The battery lasts a good while, at least 1 week per charge

The bad
- I just feel it doesnt clean my teeth as well as the Oral B
- I'd actually argue it doesnt clean as good as my manual