Enjoy smooth skin with lasting effects. Philips Lumea is a safe, fast method to prevent hair regrowth, that can be used on the face and body. Using Intense Pulsed Light technology (IPL), Lumea can be effectively used on the upper lip, chin, sideburns, legs, arms, tummy, bikini area and underarms for smooth hair free results, painlessly. Lumea has a charging light, low battery level indicator and ready-to-flash indicator light to confirm correct positioning on the skin. With the backing of 50 years of hair removal research, you can trust Philips Lumea to give you the ultimate result.
Philips Lumea uses an innovative light-based technology called IPL (Intense Pulsed Light), derived from the technology used in professional beauty salons. Philips has adapted this technology for safe and effective use in the comfort of your own home. Philips worked closely with leading dermatologists to develop this breakthrough hair removal system, together with consumer research involving 2000 women for over 10 years.
Philips clinical studies have shown significant hair reduction in as little as two fortnightly treatments, with optimal hair-free results achieved after four to five fortnightly treatments. To maintain these results, simply repeat treatment every four to six weeks. Time between treatments may vary based on your individual hair regrowth.
Use with confidence to remove hair on face (upper lip, chin and sideburns only) and body parts including legs, underarm, bikini area, stomach and arms.
Lumea is equipped with an integrated UV filter to protect your skin from UV light. The unit incorporates a safety ring system to prevent unintentional flashing.
Extra safety for the face
The precision attachment is equipped with an extra integrated light filter and enables a safe and convenient application on the upper lip, chin and sideburns. It can also be used on other sensitive areas on the body, such as the underarms, the bikini area and hard-to-reach areas.
Five light energy settings
Philips Lumea has five adjustable light energy settings to ensure gentle but effective treatment. Used correctly, Philips Lumea's IPL treatment is safe and gentle to use even on sensitive skin and sensitive body areas.
Cordless convenience with no replacement parts needed
Lumea’s unique cordless design is perfect for treating the areas you want, when you want. Philips Lumea is a complete solution that comes ready to work right out of the box. More importantly, it does not require any replacement lamps or gels.
How does Philips Lumea prevent hair growth?
Gentle pulses of light are applied directly to the hair. The melanin in the hair and hair root absorbs the light pulses. This process results in the follicle going into a resting phase. The hair sheds naturally and regrowth is inhibited. A simple and gentle treatment once every two to four weeks will prevent hair roots from becoming active again and prevent new hair from growing back.
Five steps to everlasting smoothness:
- Pre-shave the treatment area to ensure the light energy is channeled in the most efficient way to the follicle. This is only required for the first few treatments.
- Consult the skin and hair type matrix and select the light intensity suitable for your skin tone and body hair colour.
- Apply gentle pulses of light to the hair. The light produces heat in the hair, which is transferred to the hair follicle. This stimulates the hair follicle to go into a resting phase.
- As a consequence, the hair sheds naturally and hair regrowth is inhibited.
- To prevent hair from growing back, the treatment must be repeated every two weeks (or every month for legs) which will progressively reduce hair regrowth to a minimum.
Is Lumea right for me?
Philips Lumea works effectively on (naturally) dark-blonde, brown and black hair. It is not suitable for (naturally) red, grey and light blonde hair or for very dark skin types (skin type VI). Please consult the chart to determine which light intensities are most suitable for your skin and body hair colour and to check if this method is suitable for you at all (if it is not, this is indicated with an x ).
Unfortunately, Philips Lumea is not designed for everyone. If any of the following is true for you, then this appliance is not suitable for you to use.
- If your natural hair colour in the treatment areas is light blonde, white, grey or red.
- If you are of skin type VI (you rarely or never get sunburnt and you tan very darkly). In this case you run a high risk of developing skin reactions such as strong redness, burns or discolouration when you use Philips Lumea.
- Philips Lumea has been optimised for use by women but recent research showed that it can be used by men on most areas of the body, except the beard and scrotum.
- Philips Lumea 2001 is not suitable for use on the face.
- There are medications and health conditions that may lead to adverse reactions when you use Philips Lumea. Please click here for full safety information as well as usage instructions before and after tanning.
Which Lumea is right for you?