TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 September 2014
Size: Single BulbVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Being a recent convert to LED lighting I thought I’d give this a try and I’ve been very impressed with it. The light functions extremely well regardless of how high or low the dimmer switch is set and there is no flicker (nb. It has to be on an LED dimmer controlled circuit, a standard dimmer switch is not suitable).

That said, it’s not ideal in all circumstances; I say this because in my living room I sometimes like leave the lights on but turn them down to a very dim level, to create a relaxed ambience (e.g. when watching movies at night, but this LED light isn’t the best choice in this situation as it’s still too bright and white, I prefer the dull orange glow that comes from the Halogen lights when turned down low. Nonetheless, for me this isn’t an issue as I’ve installed 2 separate circuits in my living room with halogens on one and LEDs on the other – this way I can enjoy the best of both worlds.

Would I recommend these bulbs? They’re a bit pricey but generally yes although it would depend on your usage requirements... if you’re after cosy-warm lighting, then no, (even though it claims to be “warm white”) but if you’re after a crisp bright white light (shop window bright) that gives the option of being varied on a dimmer (flicker-free) down to a reasonably low level (but still clearly white light) then absolutely yes.
Size: Single BulbVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is probably the brightest and most efficient LED bulb I've ever tested. I used it to replace an older generation LED bulb in my kitchen that lights up a work surface. This new bulb is noticeably brighter and the light it produces is a bit less clinical and more comforting. Being a spot light, this bulb throws out light in a fairly narrow beam of 36 degrees, but it seems to light up the whole corner of my kitchen with no dull space around the edges. The light comes on almost immediately - noticeably quicker than some other LED bulbs in the same fitting. I really like the silver finish too (although there is still some plastic), which is smarter than some other plain white plastic bulbs that I've seen.

With a light output of 355 lumens for just 5.3W of consumption, this is not only a low energy bulb but also a highly efficient unit for the total amount of light it produces. Philips are known to make high quality bulbs so you could be quite confident that it will last most of the predicted 25,000 hours. Given the older halogen bulbs would only last 1,000 hours if you were lucky, these are so much better value for money, even though they cost quite a bit more to purchase in the first place.

The huge bonus with this particular bulb is that it's dimmable, whereas earlier LED bulbs were not suitable for use with a dimmer switch. If you have an existing GU10 light fitting on a dimmer switch in your living room, this could be a perfect bulb for you. Just check that the total consumption of your light fitting still meets the minimum requirements of your dimmer switch, since even 4 of these LED bulbs use less power together than a single old halogen bulb, so your dimmer might not work too well (or at all) if you replace all of your old bulbs with these.

Overall, I can't find anything to complain about. The purchase price is more than justified by the performance and energy efficiency, so I would certainly buy more of these bulbs and recommend them to anyone looking for a top quality energy efficient halogen bulb replacement. It's 5 stars from me!
Size: Single BulbVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We have a lovely bathroom - from the point of this review, 6 lights which dim. It's great - when you are getting up on a winter morning, you can set the lights to bright and it jolts you awake. When you want to read in the bath, dim the lights to a gentle calming brightness. And then along came LED lighting and we couldn't get the incandescent spotlight bulbs.
A few years ago, I bought 6 different LED bulbs to try to find out which ones actually dimmed, and which ones resorted to flashing (very disturbing). Back then, "dimmable" bulbs just meant that they could be connected to a dimmer switch - you couldn't actually live with the results. Only two of the original 6 could be called "dimmable", the others got relegated to non-dimming lights in the house. Oh, and I learnt a lot about the different colours of lights - the blue is great for offices but not much good for living space (and traditional daylight is a little blue for my taste), it's possible to get too yellow, and so on.
So i am pleased to report that this bulb falls into the "can be lived with" category. It does dim - steadily (although it's still brighter than an incandescent bulb at the same dimmer setting including full on). It's a pleasant domestic colour, slightly whiter than incandescent bulbs, slightly yellower than daylight. It behaves itself. I'll get another 5
Size: Single BulbVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This bright dimmable spotlight bulb has eight LEDs each with a separate lens to give the optimum light path. Compared with a 50 Watt halogen lamp its a touch cooler (more white, less yellow), but unless you're using the bulbs side-by-side you're unlikely to notice. You can get very white LED spotlight bulbs nowadays, but for evening use yellow is preferable: it helps prepare you for sleep, where white lighting can be stark and harsh on tired eyes. This is a reasonable compromise: its good in the evening and not too yellow in the morning.

I found this light slightly brighter than the 50 Watt halogen bulb it replaced; at 5.3 Watts, its very nearly ten times more efficient, so in the long run you'll make your money back many times over.

The overall beam spread is 35 degrees; the packet claims a lifetime of 25,000 hours and 50,000 switchings on and off. The dimensions are almost identical to a halogen GU10 bulb; its a few millimeters taller (55mm vs. 51mm) but the other dimensions are identical. I'm not quite sure why the early LED bulbs didn't work with a dimmer switch, but this one does.
Size: Single BulbVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This looks and feels like a quality lamp, with strong, solid construction. It produces light which is very close in colour to a halogen GU10 bulb, and it dims properly and smoothly. Unlike halogen lamps, LED lamps do not become redder as they dim, so do not expect a romantic glow! The dimmed light is more like a cloudy, grey dawn. The light spread is only 36%, so this is definitely a spotlight, not a flood. At full brightness, it seems to be easily the equivalent of a 50W halogen, but is using only 5.3W.

When fitting or removing the lamp, you cannot use one of those little suction devices to grip the front, because the cover is textured, but I had no trouble installing it. So...a nice lamp, but does it pay off? With electricity at, say, 15p per KWh, and using it 4 hr per day, it will cost £1.16 per year to run. A halogen 50W lamp would cost £10.95 per year to run, so the savings pay for the lamp in 15 months. If you have a dozen of these, you should end up over £100/yr better off.
Size: Single BulbVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an impressive Philips LED spot light. Despite being in the value range it's more impressive than my previous bulbs and gives a bright, but not clinical looking beam. The individual bulbs disperse the light rather than it looking like one torch which I prefer. The light does seem to cover 36 degrees as advertised although I haven't got my protractor out. It's equivalent to a bright 50W bulb and I would buy these again but perhaps in a lower wattage. 25000 hrs life is excellent/ 2.81 years as that's how long they are meant to last if left on continuously. I've always had to replace bulbs more frequently than that.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 July 2014
Size: Single BulbVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This bulb is supposed to be part of Philips value range, however, bar a couple of minor exceptions, it is better than all the previous versions which Philips have manufactured.

I have previously tested both the Philips GU10 50 Watt MV Master LED Spot 6, 3000 K, Neutral Whte and the Philips MASTER LED 5.5W GU10 Spot Light, Warm White, Dimmable (50W Halogen Replacement) versions, in a variety of colours, and have to say that when comparing this 5.3W version, it is definitely the best to date. For example, it has a better efficacy than previous versions as it manages to consume less power (albeit only marginally) but produces a significantly brighter output. This is noticeable when comparing to my existing halogen bulbs - the LED is definitely brighter.

The LEDs are also spread more widely across the surface of the bulb and although the bean angle is slightly less than previous versions, I think that this is compensated for by the spread of the LEDs. Therefore, the spread of light is perfectly satisfactory, in my view.

Of course, there is often a cost to be suffered when improvements are made and something that has become apparent in this version is a very slight delay on start up. However, while this delay is noticeable, I would think that it's no more than 1 second and so something that it probably easy enough to get used to.

The lifespan has also significantly reduced to 25,000 hours from 40,000 hours, although the cost has not significantly reduced. However, this is probably not unexpected given that this is a brand new bulb, and the cost of the earlier versions is now almost 50% less than when they were first introduced. Therefore, I probably wouldn't replace every bulb in my house as yet, but would wait for a couple of months for the price to come down.

All in all though, even at the current price, I think that they are still great value bulbs!
Size: Single BulbVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a smashing bulb and now that prices are dropping considerably makes it all the more worthwhile in investing in. I have tested a number of these items previously and commented upon the huge number that we have in our home; over 50 for a three bedroom house.

I can honestly say that Philips are the best by far, although some of the competitors are getting closer all the time in terms of quality of light, however, overall, the quality of the materials and the light emitted from Philips overall is the best.

So what makes this bulb stand out, apart from quality? Well for some time manufacturers have either been unable to produce or provide LED bulbs which are dimmable or if they have, they have been prohibitively expensive. In most of my rooms, we have invested in purchasing the bulbs and are now reaping the benefits in a vastly reduced electricity bill. Yes the capital cost was high, but over the forecast lifetime of these items, I believe that I will recover the cost in 3 years or less.

Using the dimming feature allows you to dim your lights in the same way as a standard bulb.

I believe that there is an added bonus, particularly as we live in a thatched cottage. These items generate next to no heat at all and therefore compared to halogen bulbs, even encased in a protective cover, I believe that they reduce the risk of fire considerably.
Size: Single BulbVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There's not a great deal one can wax lyrical on about a light bulb, other than to say this is a mains powered 240V GU10 fitting lamp and bright for its wattage, giving an area or spot of soft warm white light that is very close to the light temperature and characteristics of a standard tungsten filament "pearl" lamp - i.e. around 2800 degrees C.

Like all "PAR" shape lamps this is primarily a low-power spot lamp which gives a somewhat unfocussed fuzzy "splodge" of soft light rather than the normal quite harsh light from the equivalent quartz-halogen lamp.

The lamp gets hot to touch after about 15 minutes, but not too hot to hold.

Overall, I would recommend this lamp - particularly for those who need a light characteristic similar to that of the long-used but now banned "pearl" tungsten filament lamp.

I hope Philips do a "GLS" shape version of this lamp as I think it would be a hit.

Oh, and it works well with dimmer switches too!
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2014
Size: Single BulbVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received this courtesy of the Amazon Vine Programme.

I am currently in the process of changing every bulb in the house to LED. I've wanted to do this for a while but found wild variations in the quality of the LED bulbs themselves. Philips however seem to have perfected the LED bulb.

The light is a warm tone but bright - the beam is broader than that of the equivalent hallogen bulb and the actual light is much better - which is perfect for the lights over our kitchen work tops.

I had heard of problems with the bulbs working with dimmer switches and perhaps in the early days that was the case but this bulb works perfectly with our dimmer switch which is probably around 15 years old.

The savings are also amazing - admittedly it is going to take several years to save the money as these bulbs are more expensive than normal bulbs but as they are supposed to last so much longer this is an investment worth making.