VINE VOICEon 23 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The good:
* Will not burn your clothes even if you leave the iron plate down on them - even on Silk!
* Generates a lot of steam when necessary
* Seems as fast as other steam generator irons
* The water capacity is large enough for an ordinary wash load

The bad:
* You still have to tell it what type of material the clothes are
* The iron will not balance on its heel between articles of clothing - leaving it sole plate down on the ironing board may be safe, but it feels very wrong!
* Not suitable for using iron on wonder web or similar to hem trousers, as the sole plate is not hot enough. This probably also applies to things like iron on transfers too
* The wire is inconveniently short - I have to leave the main unit on the floor as I can't place the ironing board close enough to a plug , which also mean that I can't just rest the iron on the base unit
* There is no mechanism to lock the iron to the base unit when carrying it.
* There is no obvious place for your hands when carrying it
* There is no proper storage for the mains cable, not even some pegs on the base to wrap it around.
* The water tank is an integral part of the base unit, so can't be removed for refilling

Overall it this is a decent iron that is let down by some simple practical flaws, which some other irons, such as my old Tefal Gv9461 Protect Autoclean Steam Generator do not have.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My friends and acquaintances have been telling me about the advantages of steam generator irons for ages but I haven't been listening because I didn't think I generated enough ironing to justify the price, or the room that they take up in a small flat.

I have also been lucky enough to have had the Tefal GV8956 Pro Express Total Auto Control Steam Generator to review and now that I've been using a stem generator iron for some time I know that I would buy one for when there is a lot of ironing to do. You can't justify it for ironing one shirt each morning but if you have one of these then you can whizz through the week's worth and have an extra five minutes in bed in the morning. The speed at which one can get through the ironing is partly down to the large tank of water, which means that you don't have to keep stop to refill, but also because the smart adjustment of heat means that you don't have to sort clothes into the optimal order for ironing i.e. delicates first or last so that you don't scorch them.. there is no waiting for the iron to heat up as this takes only two minutes.

I have kept my small iron for the times when I have just one item to iron - otherwise it is the steam generator iron I'll be using.

Just to prove how confident Phillips are that you won't burn your fabric, or the ironing board, there is no heel on this iron. I did feel that I was living dangerously when I left the iron face down, but grew used to it quite quickly and there is no sigh of a scorch mark on the board or on one of my delicate fabrics.

Pros

+ The steam power is fantastic and works well as a vertical steamer to get rid of wrinkles when clothes are hanging
+ 2.5L tank which means that the ironing does not have to stop for frequent refilling
+ The smart chip technology works flawlessly on adjusting to different fabrics
+ The Steamglide footplate does feel very smooth when ironing
+ The iron part of the unit is light which means that your wrist doesn't ache when you have a lot to iron
+ Shuts off automatically when left unused and flat on its soleplate after two minutes.
+ It has an anti-calc collector which is which is very important in hard water areas, but I fill mine from my Brita water filter
+ I have a large ironing board and it rests on it very securely
+ Good safety locking of the iron on the rest of the unit

Cons

- It is large and pricey but if you have a lot of ironing then I feel it is great value
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm impressed. What a marvelous iron this is. I've had a steam generator iron before and as good as that one was, it had some minus points too. This one seems close to perfect for me though. It's bulky, yes, due to the water tank but it's by no means monstrous as some generators can be. It holds more than enough water to get through my laundry mountain in one session and seemed to cut back on the time taken to do it as well. Sometimes my pile is scary to behold but this whizzed through it in no time. I got a good hour and a half of solid ironing and could probably have done another hour or more with what was left in the tank.

The iron itself is a lot smaller and lighter than what I'm used to and had doubted it would be powerful enough to tackle jeans and heavier fabrics but it coped no problem at all. In fact, I found a lot of the time I could have got away with just ironing on one side as the steam penetrates through and cuts the time taken to do a load quite dramatically. I'm finding that with steam generators it's not really about the weight and/or size of the iron but more to do with the power behind the steam and this one seems pretty powerful.

I'm amazed at how good it is in determining what sort of fabric is being ironed. I have no clue how it works...it's like magic. How I used to iron with my old one was set the temperature dial to high and start with all the jeans and then gradually reduce the setting and work my way down to the delicate fabrics. Now, it doesn't matter which item I pull from the basket as there's no dial to fiddle with and the iron works it all out automatically. I was a bit apprehensive about leaving it sitting on its plate at first and stood over it, convinced it was a gimmick and I'd have scorch marks to deal with but it was true to it's claims and not a scorch mark in site. I'm just thrilled with it all.

I'm going to have to cave in and buy a special generator ironing board though as my own board just seems too puny for it when the base is sitting on the end. Regular boards will work if you can sit the base off to one side but I have to sit mine on the end of the board itself and it's just too cramped for me with a regular ironing board. I had trouble storing my other generator iron when it wasn't in use as my usual spot couldn't accommodate it but this one is a little smaller so doesn't pose the same problems. The footprint is a lot bigger than a regular iron though so if you're short on space like I am, you might have to reconsider where you're iron is kept between loads.

I love it. Powerful, pretty to look at and actually seems to make ironing a bit more enjoyable.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you've got large amounts to iron then this iron is, I've found, really great for tackling the job and making an arduous task slightly less painful. It's got plenty of great features that really make it a pleasure to use on the scale of ironing. The 2.5 litre reservoir keeps you supplied with water for hours and is easily fillable (with your own jug) via a well proportioned spout on the top of the tank. I like the fact that you can see exactly how much water you have left and, albeit bulky, it's a good looking machine. I particularly like the fact that the iron part itself is quite slim and it has a light up nose that lets you know by flashing if it's warming up. I find it takes about 2 minutes to heat up fully, as billed.

Once ready to go it's a breeze to use, thanks I think to a very good plate on the iron itself, which is lighter than others I've used before. I find that cottons to man made fibres alike are left really well pressed and never do I feel that the iron is lacking in steam. The button controlling it is well placed on the handle and it's intuitive to use. At first I found it a bit disconcerting not having a temperature dial - though there is an eco button to produce less steam and heat - but I needn't have worried because whatever the fabric this iron works well. The iron fits snugly and easily back on the base in between uses - NB there is no safety catch for storage, for that you will have to purchase the model up.

It's quiet when pumping out steam, although you can hear the pump which is quite load intermittently whilst you are ironing, and this is fairly loud. I use mine with a board designed for a steam generator iron Brabantia Ice Water Ironing Board, Size C, 124 x 45 cm - with Solid Steam Unit Holder, the footprint (about 23 x 35cm by my measurements) might be a bit of a challenge for a smaller ironing board, it's heavy when full so this is definitely something to consider prior to purchase.

Other features include a place to store the steam generating cord on the body of the iron and a removable plug for de-calcing; no cartridges to buy, handy if like me you live in a hard water area.

The build quality of this iron is very good and I think it's worth it if you have a fair bit of ironing to do, it cuts down the time you would spend doing the job and results are excellent. I would recommend it.
on 8 September 2015
Hate it. Have abandoned it and gone back to the old one (non-fancy steam), which I used to think was rubbish, but now realise wasn't that bad!

It worked well for the first month, but now (8 mths later) it just wees on the clothes, soaking them, then the hotplate isn't hot enough to evaporate it away. Makes the room really steamy, so if you've already got a damp problem you'll avoid turning it on - especially if your hair is prone to frizzing.

Wish I could send it back.
VINE VOICEon 27 July 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a major advance over a standard hand steam iron and has some great innovation over other steam generator irons.
First of all what is good.
The hand piece is simple and uncluttered. There is the hand and a single button. No dials or other controls. You press/hold the button down and steam pumps out of the baseplate. Release the button and it stops - simple. Press the button twice, in quick succession, and the steam is produced without holding the button.
There is an Eco button on the base unit which operates the iron with a lower level of stream - useful if the items being ironed are perhaps still slightly damp and so do not need much steam.
Stream is produced with the iron at any angle. So you could iron/steam curtains, for example, whilst they are hung, or a suit that is hanging on a hanger.
The base unit holds 2.5 litres of water which is more than enough for a family weekly iron.
The iron adjusts the temperature based on the fabric automatically so you don't have to. This was a new thing for me and initially I wasn't sure how well this would work. But it does.
The iron can be left face down on a piece of fabric and it won't burn. I tried this and can confirm that it does what it says it will do. The added advantage of this is that you don't need to put the iron back into it's cradle each time you want to put it down to adjust the piece being ironed. Just place it flat down on the ironing board and it is ready to go. In fact the iron can not be stood up on end, like most irons, as it is not designed to do so. But leaving it flat down on the surface is not a problem. More than that it is actually a great productivity design as it take less energy to place it flat rather than having to tip it up each time. Then when you pick it up again, your hand is in the right position to just carry on ironing. No more tilting the iron to sit it up between uses.
Compared to other steam generator irons I have used and seen, it is reasonably compact.
Although very pleased with this, there are a couple of negatives.
Firstly, the instructions could be a bit easier to follow. Secondly, the de-calc procedure is a bit involved and takes several steps to clear the base unit and the hand piece of hard water deposit. However, this is a necessary evil for all steam irons but a big problem as I live in a hard water area. This can be eased by using deionised or demineralised water but then that is a pain having to buy that in.
However, the bottom line is that this iron is designed to improve ironing efficiency. This is achieves well. It has cut the time it takes to do the weekly iron in half due to the reduced need to keep topping up the water plus the volume of steam produced is high so it breezes through creases. Well worth five stars.
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In the words of Sheffield's versatile singer-songwriter John Shuttleworth, "I’m a modern man. I do the household chores whenever I can".

Ironing though has never been my strong point. Plaintive looks at the girls I lived with at university to add a couple of shirts on to their ironing load helped me out back then but my charm has long since evaporated. Still with this Iron it really does seem like burn marks are a thing of the past on my clothes.

It's a substantial beast out of the box although its the steaming docking station that makes up most of the bulk. It's easy to switch on and use and after a couple of minutes to warm up and get going you are ready to get to work. It stores enough water to do more than I'll ever want to do in one sitting, automatically adjusts to what you are ironing so it's impossible to burn anything (I'll let you know in six months time if that really is true - but so far, so good), is light and easy to use and the cord is of an ample length too.

It has an automatic shut off feature and is easy to descale as well. You can read the long list of technological marvels that the Iron has in the product description. I can simply tell you that it works, and works well. It almost makes ironing fun!

Highly recommended. You can go "higher" in terms of Iron models from Phillips but I genuinely don't see why you would need to.
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I could never go back to a normal iron ever again. I have been fortunate to own 3 of these types of irons and these works fantastically well. It holds plenty of water and allows me to do a good 2 hours of ironing before needing to top up the water. Which is done very easily with a small jug by popping open the water holder at the top. The water holder is moulded into the iron unit so there is minimal chance of leakage- a great improvement on a previous model some years ago. It glides through all ironing with ease, and the perfect care system means that the steam temperature is suitable for all fabrics without scorching. You can go from tough denim to delicate silks with no need to adjust any temperatures. It easy to use, irons well and I love it. However if you are not used to these types of irons you will notice the noise of the boiler from time to time, your ironing space needs to be well ventilated- otherwise within 2 hours you are in a steam room, and you need plenty of felt or similar on your ironing board to prevent condensation leaking on the floor from the ironing board. If you have a busy family pile of ironing, and you've never tried a steam generator iron this will pretty much revolution your life (well, perhaps not, but you might get another hour back a week of 'me' time)- if you are single with a few shirts to iron each week....you'll have to decide whether its worth the splurge!
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you are like me and do not exactly relish that moment on a nice Sunday evening when you realise your shirts need ironing for the week……then look no further than this iron. From the moment you switch on the machine, you get a feeling of…‘ok this is not going to be so bad’. The iron itself has a satisfying blue strip light that comes on and slowly flashes to let you know it is warming up, whilst the vast reservoir of water it sits on intermittently vibrates as the steam builds.
As you prepare your clothing on the ironing board, you are probably looking a bit fearful at the extent of crinkles you can see….fear no longer! This iron is actually amazing and glides through the toughest creases with ease. By using the small button underneath the iron handle you can let the steam out for as long as you like and this lets you speed through the ironing in record time, I can now do a shirt in under a minute! There is no need to continuously iron one patch for 3 minutes like you may have to with standard irons, as this just flattens everything….so you can be back watching the latest box set within moments!
For those who do not like ironing but recognise you should really do it and for those that do like ironing……..I highly recommend this product!!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I hate ironing and will gladly try anything to reduce the ridiculously long time that it seems to take me to get through a pile of shirts. We've had various different irons before - some that have been better than others - but all of which still take me a long time to get shirts flat. This is generally because some shirts just don't seem to want to look ironed and it takes a combination of boosting the steam and spraying extra water on to do the trick.

I was slightly skeptical about whether the PerfectCare Aqua Iron Steam Generator could a) save me time and b) was REALLY one temperature suits all fabrics. After a regular iron where you've got to carefully set the temperature for your various fabrics and then you also have the spray/steam buttons etc the lack of controls on this iron is somewhat perturbing. Basically you fill it up, (2.5l - lots of steam), turn it on and...well...that's it. It heats up for the first time, (just over a minute for us), and then you're good to go. As the blurb explains, this iron works on a lower temperature and relies, instead, on the steam to get the fabrics crease free which is why it is even safe, (apparently), to leave the iron flat on your clothes. I have to admit that I haven't tried doing that, but I have now plucked up the courage to leave it flat on the ironing board with no problems. I like their thinking! The constant and high levels of steam really do seem to do the job so well and I've found that even those tricky shirts are having to give up way quicker and they are ironed in a jiffy. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this iron has cut my ironing time by around 50%.

So, whilst I still hate ironing, at least this chore now takes me far less time which makes me very happy. I wish I'd had one of these irons years ago! Highly recommended.