on 29 May 2001
As a student nurse we are given masses of books to read! A large area that needs to be revised is Pharmacology. This book is excellent. Not only does it allow you to search for particular drugs and their effects, but there are examples on all clinical areas most commonley used drugs. Examples being drug treatment in GI disorders, cardiovascular disorders and the central nervous system. As well as being really useful whilst on the ward, it also addresses the importance of policies and procedures whilst using drugs, and the control of medicines. A whole section is devoted to nurses roles as regards nurse prescribing, how to achieve effective drug therapy, drug reactions/ interactions and how to achieve patient compliance. Having read many books throughout my training this is the one that I fall back on the most and refer to for both practical guidance and to support my theorectical work. It is suitable for both degree and diploma level students and also for qualified nurses who need to extend their knowledge. I qualify soon and feel this book will become invaluable whilst I put my nursing theory into practice.
on 2 November 2008
This book is brilliant for nurses and students alike! It is spilt into sections so you are able to search for a particular medicine, and find out about their side affects and what they do but also also allows you to search for medications used for specific illnesses / disorders.

The book is laid out in a user friendly manner, using simple language to explain concepts so is suitable for students that want to gain a basic understanding of medications.

Not only does this book deal with numberous medications and their side affects but also covers the anatomy and physiology of systems. For example it looks indepth at the renal system covering the a and p of the kidneys, including their functions and looking in detail at renal failure.Within these sections are areas focusing on medications which would be used to treat particular illnesses.

The book also looks at policies and procedures when administering medication, controlled drugs, and nurse prescribers, allowing students to gain a better understanding of how to administer medication and will be very useful when qualified, when putting theory into practice.

The book uses a good range of diagrams, which are extremely helpful when covering the anatomy and physiology. The book is easy to navigate, allowing you to dip in and find what you are looking for. This I woud recommend to student nurses that want a good 'drugs' book as it covers everything you need to know.
on 6 November 2008
This book is really easy to read and understand, it has good A&P linkages to drugs and adverse effects and complications
It offers a comprehsive guide to administration and managment of medication with useful images and summary boxes that are written in an easy to understand way
Self assesment questions throughout the book and useful and again realistic to nursing practice and encourage deeper thought and learning.
as a third year student currently studying complex health i have found it invaluable to refer to and use as a point of reference for essays.
i would reccomend this book to any student nurse and wish i had had it before the third year.
on 12 April 2009
An easy to read and informative book which I bought at the end of my first year as a student nurse. I read it cover to cover at the time and learn't some basic information that helped me in my next placement. Now nearly a year later, I find myself dipping in and out of it regularly looking something up but also for assignment and exam preparation. It describes the different types of medicine groups as well as methods of administration. It also gives some good anatomy and physiology information. I will definately be using this when I qualify.
on 25 June 2011
I brought this book to help with my studies for nutritional medicine degree. It is what it claims to be and so if you have been prompted to buy it them i dont think it will dissapoint.
on 5 October 2014
Delivery was fast. The book is brilliant for second year nursing students who need to know about diseases and specific medication.
on 3 October 2014
Good and easy to understand