on 6 January 2012
This is an utterly amazing book. The reason I do not give it the full five stars is that at least two of the recipes in the book (both for macarons au sucre cuit) contain small errors. (Both telling you to heat up the full amount of caster sugar, then telling you to "beat the reserved caster sugar into the egg whites" when there is no "reserved sugar". However if you compare these two misprinted recipes which other "correct" versions in the same book, you can easily adjust for this omission). It's just mistakes were not something I would have expected in a book of this cost or calibre.

Although all the recipes do contain full instructions and guidance on how to assemble the various entremets, most of the time it takes two attempts at each item to get perfect results. (So, most if you want to make an item from here for a birthday/event, it really pays to practice first.) But it's always well worth the effort.

Yes, the book is in French. For most of the time (e.g what order to add ingredients, cooking times etc...) this is easily translatable. However there are some parts which have flummoxed me - Cake Isaphan, depicted as a rectangular cake in the given photograph, is described in the instructions as being baked in a 16cm circular "rosette window" tin (at least, that's what it translates to. I would love to know what this actually is.) Also, "jus de basilic" is another item which I have yet to solve, (the context rules out it actually being "basil juice") and a "Maryse", which I'm guessing to be some sort of silicone spatula.

Translation issues nonwithstanding, I love using this book. (You may also wish to note that this tome happens to be particularly heavy for a cookbook - I would guess somewhere between 3 and 4 kilos / 6 - 8 lbs. It's heavier than the New Larousse Gastronomique, which has some weight behind it.)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again