"Despite the importance of Geology in the exploitation of hydrocarbon resources, there are remarkably few texts that explain in any detail exactly how a geoscientist goes about doing this job...The publication now of Petroleum Geoscience is therefore extremely welcome. Its coverage is both wide and deep, and it is right up–to–date with advances in technology and methods of practice...The authors bring to this book a wealth of personal practical experience and understanding gained from their own time working in oil companies and on research. As well as covering the theory, they make excellent use of examples to bring home the key points. Published examples are supplemented by extensive amounts of previously unpublished material from the oil company BP and with their own insights from involvement in many of these projects. Clearly illustrated is how academic enthusiasm has to be tempered by economic realism." Colin North, University of Aberdeen, Teaching Earth Sciences, 2003 <!––end––>
is a comprehensive introduction to the application of geology and geophysics to the search for and production of oil and gas.
Uniquely, this book is structured to reflect the sequential and cyclical processes of exploration, appraisal, development and production. Chapters dedicated to each of these aspects are further illustrated by case histories drawn from the authors' experiences. Petroleum Geoscience has a global and 'geo-temporal' backdrop, drawing examples and case histories from around the world and from petroleum systems ranging in age from late-Pre-Cambrian to Pliocene.
In order to show how geoscience is integrated at all levels within the industry, the authors stress throughout the links between geology and geophysics on the one hand, and drilling, reservoir engineering, petrophysics, petroleum engineering, facilities design, and health, safety and the environment on the other.
- Petroleum Geoscience is designed as a practical guide, with the basic theory augmented by case studies from a wide spread of geographical locations.
- Covers all the key aspects of the origin of petroleum, exploration, and production. It takes account of the modern emphasis on the efficient utilisation of reserves, on new methods in exploration (such as 3-D seismics).
- Book takes 'value-chain' approach to Petroleum Geoscience.
- First new text on petroleum geology for geology undergraduates to be published in the last ten years.
- Packed full of real-life case studies from Petroleum industry.