Format: DVD|Change

on 23 November 2007
I remember my fifth birthday more vividly than any other from my youth. It was on that birthday my godmother bought me peter pan and snow white on VHS. To watch this movie again is like revisiting so many happy memories of wishing peter would come and take me away. It is true Disney magic. It has all of disney's trademarks from the time, beautiful hand drawn animation (that has been colour graded to make it look even better) and catchy songs that have become part of everyday cultural knowledge. I would advise anyone to get this for their child or teen or better yet buy it for yourself and relive days gone by like i did.
on 4 February 2009
We bought it for a xmas present as we had been to see Peter Pan in panto, and it has been a huge hit with my 4 year old boy. He has watched it over and over and over again and is a mesmersied as the first time he saw it. Such a lovely film, just the right length to keep little ones captivated without too much fidgeting! A wonderful and much loved classic.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 27 February 2007
NOTE: As of this moment, the Two-Disc Platinum Edition of Peter Pan is in limited distribution (I have seen it) and most of the reviews that appear now refer to an earlier version. The Two-Disc Platinum Edition version can be pre-ordered from Amazon and Borders and offers new special features which include a restored original theatrical soundtrack all-new digital restoration with enhanced picture and sound, "Camp Never Land: Explore Never Land" with all-new multi-level games, deleted songs, a feature during which Walt Disney explains "Why I Made Peter Pan," "The Peter Pan Story: 1952" featurette, a sneak peek of the all-new Tinker Bell movie, another feature "You Can Fly: The Making of Peter Pan," a T-Squad music video: "The Second Star to the Right," a Peter Pan virtual flight, Peter's Playful Prank DVD storybook, and a never-before-seen alternate opening.

Over the years, I have seen various versions of this delightful film and enjoy it at least as much now as I did when it was first released in 1953. On several occasions, I have also visited Disneyland and vividly recall the excitement of the ride when my companions and I departed the children's bedroom and flew above London at night en route to Neverland. The so-called "magic kingdom" is more a state-of-mind than a location because the genius of Walt Disney and his associates is that, in ways and to an extent no one else ever has, they activate and engage imagination. This is especially true of this film that, unlike most of the other animation features, involves a journey by air as well as by land. Literally, one's imagination soars above and beyond human concerns, at least for 77 minutes.

Unlike other Disney villains (e.g. Honest John and Stromboli in Pinocchio, the Queen/Witch in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs), Captain Hook is at least as amusing as he is threatening. The fate of the Darling children is never really in doubt. We know that eventually, theirs will be a safe return to their home and family. (I had no such confidence - as a child -- when first viewing Dumbo, Pinocchio, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.) Although for most of us, "there is no place like home," we enjoy and appreciate opportunities to travel far and wide - at least in our imagination - and become involve in adventures of various kinds, as the Darling children do.

Those who already have an earlier version of Peter Pan can continue to enjoy it, of course, but at least some of them will welcome this Two-Disc Platinum Edition because of all of its special features, previously unavailable. I only wish other DVDs offered special features of comparable variety, quality, and entertainment value.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 March 2014
This classic cartoon movie was made when I was five years old. Watching it at the local cinema is one of my earliest memories and now my grandchildren are watching it! And me only 27!
This is still a very famous story; probably all English-speaking children have heard of Peter Pan, Wendy, Captain Hook, Tinkerbelle and the Lost Boys. The more recent versions of the story, made in 1991 and 2003 have made it popular again, but this older version still holds up very well indeed, especially for younger children. It was, of course, based on the stage play of the same name, written by JM Barrie. It was the last film on which Walt Disney's 'nine old men' - the nine original animators who worked with him and were acknowledged as a dream team - all worked together, so it is classic and classy Disney.
The film opens as Mr and Mrs Darling decide that Wendy is now too old to share a room with her brothers. That night, while their parents are at a party, Wendy, John and Michael are visited by the Boy Who Refused To Grow Up, Peter Pan, who has arrived to get his lost shadow, just in time to save Wendy from being forced to grow up. Helped by the fairy, Tinkerbelle, he sprinkles Wendy and her two brothers with magic dust and they are able to fly away with him to Neverland. So the adventure begins; they meet the Lost Boys and learn that a pirate ship is moored off the shore of Neverland, commanded by Captain Hook, Peter's sworn enemy...
Like many older productions, the film is not entirely politically correct, especially in its portrayal of native Americans - or Red Indians, as they are called in this film. Apparently, the Disney organisation acknowledge that they would not represent native Americans like this today. However, the film is a product of its time - I remember lots of cowboy movies of the fifties that portrayed them as cruel savages, ignoring the injustices that they had suffered at the hands of 'white' men. Despite this limitation, this is a lovely and very enjoyable film which deserves to be loved by many more generations of children.
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2012
A few of the most recent Disney blu-ray releases - The Rescuers, 101 Dalmations, Aristocats amongst them - have got bad reviews for less than pristine blu-ray transfers. Whilst I agree that the video on those releases wasn't close to Disney's best, I think the cause was more the era those classics originate from (cheap 'rough-pencil' era) than Disney's blu-ray conversion.

The good news is that, as an older movie from Mr Walt Disney's time at the helm, Peter Pan is a beautifully drawn animation movie and the blu-ray transfer is absolutely stunning and looks as though it was drawn yesterday. The colour is clear and vibrant and there is no noticeable blurring or distortion. The sound is equally majestic and the surround sound is brilliant, particularly for the background music.

The even better news is that Peter Pan is one of Disney's best classics, with a great story, fun characters, a brilliant larger-than-life villain and more than a few laughs! This is one of Disney's absolute must have blu-ray releases!
on 19 February 2010
How great to be able to get a 1953 Disney classic updated on DVD! It seems as fresh and bright as it did when I saw the original film as a small boy (yes, I'm that old). A splendid purchase at a very reasonable price, this film is now preferred viewing for my grandchildren - well, second only to Wallace and Gromit!

The portrayal of the Red Indians seems very non-PC now, I must admit. Also, I seemed to detect a bit of editing-out when Peter finds Tinker Belle fading away in a cave. It's the bit of the original stage presentation when the audience have to clap to signify their belief in fairies.

It's over 100 years since the original story was written, so some of the ideas need explaining to youngsters: Nanas and nurseries, for example, are unfamiliar to 21st Century children. Even a ticking crocodile is so out of date now!

I'm still very pleased I found it: Recommended!
on 20 January 2003
Why are old Disney's some much better than more recent ones? Because much more is left to your imagination and the action is less fast and less aggressive. Also, verbal cracks and jokes are much more in abundance.
Peter Pan's definetely one of the best Disney movies. The plot is great, the characters are convincing (even Tinkerbell) and emotions are never over-the-top or sacharine. There's enough action in it to keep you spellbound (even at 33!!).
The great thing about is that the whole story makes completely sense in the eyes of many a kid (I have 3). It feeds on their imagination & still expects them to make clever judgements.
Enough said, it's a good story, brilliantly drawn. Modern day kids still love it!
The children in the Darling family love story about Peter Pan. So naturally when he shows up one night looking for his missing shadow, they're thrilled to go back with him to Never Land. There, they face Indians and "the world's most famous crook," Captain Hook. Will they survive their adventures with the boy who never wants to grow up?
I have always had a fascination with this story. As a kid I remember checking the Disney picture book version out of the library week after week. When I finally got to see it, I was enthralled. There is just something magical about the story. It's partially the coming together of all the boyhood adventures in one place. Mermaids, Indians, and Pirates? What more could any boy want? And, of course, the ability to fly. The "You can fly" sequence over London is one of my all time favorites. The whole movie really is animated very well with a story that movies quickly from place to place with lots of humor to keep everyone entertained and gorgeous animation of the fanciful Never Land.
This special edition is worth tracking down. The picture (original full frame) is sharp and the surround sound is very nice. Extras include a documentary on the making of the movie and a promotional theatrical featurette from the original release. The "audio commentary" is unique. Hosted by Roy Disney, it consists of selections from interviews of the voice talent, live action models, animators, and animation historians. While not your usual commentary, it's fascinating stuff and well worth a listen. Finally, there's a treasure hunt game and DVD storybook for kids.
This movie still brings a smile to my face and probably always will. Maybe my friends are right when they say I love this movie so much because I always wanted to be Peter Pan.
on 15 May 2016
This is one of my favourite disney films and it was by chance and good fortune and I had got this particular DVD from the Amazon website at a very good price. This version unlike the latest one has many extra features, such as behind the scenes, music and games. If you are only interested in the film itself and don't bothered about getting the extra features, then just buy the latest that hardly has any special features otherwise for something that is more then the film itself, this DVD type is well worth getting. This one contains some great catchy music, a great storyline and very funny scenes that are always my favourite when watching Disney animated movies. I could never stop laughing and admiring all the wonderful work that disney put in all of it's classical films and for all who are super fond of disney animation, be sure to add this to your DVD collection.
on 18 August 2012
This DVD of Peter Pan is absolutely excellent. There is a really good story involved, and the clarity of the animation is superb. My two granddaughters, who are 3 and 4 totally loved it, as did my 10 yr old grandson. Age doesn't really come into it - it is as great for adults as for children. I thoroughly recommend this DVD.