on 22 March 1999
I was looking for a text to learn Perl literally from the ground up and this is the book. The subject matter is broken up logically into chapters which can be read in sequence to progressively build up your understanding of the language and its capabilities but which also function effectively as a reference - from Hello World through CGI, Database and GUI development. It is concise and readable - not jumping too deeply into esoteric subjects like regular expressions before the reader is confident with the basic language constructs. There are bugs in the sample code which is a bit annoying but not hard to recognise and you'll want to obtain other books as more advanced references to specific topics. You find this book useful for some time though before you need more in depth texts. I would recommend this to any computing professional wanting to learn Perl.
on 22 August 1998
The book starts off very well, and gives a good grounding in PERL, but is badly let down by very buggy example scripts. You can type them in exactly as printed and get pages of error messages. I was also less than impressed with the Windows NT / Unix information, which doesn't point out the myriad of facilities which do not work in the NT version of PERL (Ping, for example is supposed to work, but as of August 1998 relies on an alarm function which is not implemented in PERL for Windows NT. To be brutal, PERL's own HTML pages have been more helpful once I got beyond chapter four.
on 27 June 2001
If you are a programmer who has experience with C, C++, Pascal etc. and want to try something fairly easy to convert to, then Perl is it. This book is great for any programmer who knows the basics. All the coded examples are well explained and each section falls nicely into the next. I'm reading the 1998 which has some spelling mistakes and some wrongly coded bits (assigning values to constants after they have already been assigned!!).
Its great for anyone with experience and who likes to have things explained in detail, giving several examples!! Good book
on 16 September 1998
I've only had this book for 24 hours, and already I'm writing simple programs and actually understanding them. I've read some other good Perl books but had difficulty understanding why I was doing certain things. This one is a good one to start with. I give it 4 stars instead of 5 because I'm not done with it yet. I think most people who read this book and do the excercises will be on to more advanced books quickly. Then again, isn't that the point!
on 2 December 1998
I purchased this book in Sept 98. When some sample scripts didn't work, I tried to download the source code. The file was incomplete and corrupt. I contacted both the publisher and the author. Although both admitted the errors, the same broken file is still there as of Dec 98. As the sample code in the book was buggy, a source of error free source code and book errata is what is needed. Can we please see this sometime soon?
on 3 May 1999
The book does not meet its goals. It does not serve for interesting sequential reading and cannot be regarded as a reference either. Plus the examples are logically poor and full of bugs. Special shame to Osborne McGraw-Hill - don't trust their "Free Code online" bonus! The archive is highly incomplete so in order to understand buggy samples you'll have to type and fix them manually.
on 17 March 1999
I'm auditing a class at a local college where this book is the required text. I've had to go through the examples and demonstration problems line by line to compile them and see if they work. Each of these should have been checked by the author. For new students this is very discouraging. I would not recommend this book as a text.
on 24 August 1998
I was 100% new to PERL but really wanted to get going to do NT SysAdmin. This book gave me the foundation I needed to get going. I'm gonna pick up a couple other PERL books (probably from O Reilly) but really like this author who also writes in Windows NT Magazine so it's nice to have the two hand in hand.
on 8 July 1998
Many books on computer programming assume that you already program in another language and start from there. "Perl from the Ground Up" starts exactly where the title says it does. I was an absolute beginner in Perl and CGI, but this book definitely worked for me.