Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 September 2004
This book is essential reading for anyone about to buy or having just bought a new puppy.
There is nothing worse than being confronted by a book full of jargon but this book is a joy to read. It is easy to pick up and put down when you have a spare five minutes and the information is written is very clear and easy to understand steps.
Every issue of rearing a puppy is covered, including socialization, house training, playing games, dealing with anti-social behaviour etc. Its common sense approach fills you with confidence and helps you to understand the priorities in puppy training.
0Comment|233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2011
Read this book before you get a puppy. If it all sounds like too much hard work, then do yourself and the puppy a favour, and don't get a puppy. Puppies are very hard work. They also wake-up in the small hours of the morning needing to toilet.

If you read and follow only one chapter in this book, make sure it's the one on socialisation. Nothing will help your puppy more than early socialisation (before 12-weeks of age), nothing will hinder your puppy more than a lack of early socialisation. YOU CANNOT GET THIS TIME BACK. More dogs are euthanised due to a lack of early socialisation than any other reason. Your dog has to meet other dogs as early as possible - before he is vaccinated - this will mean introducing him to friends' dogs that you know have been vaccinated, before he has been vaccinated himself. Doing this will make an enormous difference to how your dog eventually turns out and how he gets on with other dogs.

Having experienced a dog-aggressive Whippet, we were determined that our Whippet puppy was going to be people and dog-friendly. We went the extra mile with socialising him. We introduced him to other (vaccinated) dogs as soon as we got him. We carried him around to see the world, see other dogs and meet lots of people before he was vaccinated - yes we took a risk with parvo and distemper, but it was essential we did so. The window of socialisation is very narrow and waiting for him to be vaccinated before we took him out, meant that we would lose all but a week of this absolutely critical time. There's no way we could have crammed all of his socialisation into one week, because it's not just a case of the puppy experiencing something once, he has to experience the same thing lots of times, in order for your dog to turn out 'bomb-proof'. We took him to puppy training classes and to watch our other dog doing agility. We also took him to fun dog shows, as this was an excellent way for him to meet lots of other dogs and people and be touched all over by strangers (judges). We took him to a wide variety of outdoor events. We have taken him to a dozen different houses and had lots of friends visit.

It is time-consuming socialising a puppy, but it is essential that it is done. If you're not willing to put the time and effort in, then don't get a puppy, as you will just end-up creating another problem dog. Rescues are full of dogs that the owners couldn't be bothered to train and socialise properly.

Whippets can be timid. We were careful to choose a confident puppy from parents who both had excellent temperaments.

We found the advice on choosing a puppy useful, although it could have been more in-depth. It would have been helpful if she'd also mentioned the importance of ensuring the parents had been health-tested. We were careful to choose from a litter where we were able to see both the mum and dad, so that we could assess both their temperaments, as temperament is largely inherited. The litter was local to us, so twice we were able to spend time with the litter before we brought our puppy home. This is the problem with most litters; the dam can be seen, but usually the sire belongs to someone else and he could have an iffy temperament. If you can't meet him, you won't know this. Don't assume that show-bred dogs will have great temperaments; some show breeders will breed from dogs that win in the show ring, regardless of whether that dog has a good temperament or not.

Be very careful about the breed of puppy you buy. There are many breeds out there that are health-wrecks waiting to happen. Not only will you be faced with eye-watering vet bills, but also the heart-ache of having a dog that is constantly ill or dies before his time. Brachycephalic breeds (Pugs, Bulldogs, Boxers, etc.) are known to have numerous health problems. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are a popular breed, but recent studies have shown that up to 70% suffer from syringomyelia - where their brain is too big for their skull, causing agonising pain to the animal. 50% of Golden Retrievers will die of cancer. Do your research very carefully and don't assume that breed club websites will be open and honest about the extent of health problems in their breed. Speak to your vet and ask for their advice about breeds to avoid due to inherent ill-health.

The book told us to introduce our puppy to our current dog on neutral territory (we used a neighbour's drive as he doesn't have dogs). This we did and they get on brilliantly; whereas I have heard of people who haven't done this and had problems.

This book is worth getting just for the chapter on socialisation.
on 24 January 2006
When we bought our puppy we bought a whole heap of reference books, most of which were rather dull and difficult to follow. This is a very clear book, very easy to understand and great to have at hand at all times. It clearly explains what is right and wrong -a great book to keep on hands for those panic moments and just to keep by the bed for reassurance. We thought we knew a lot about dog training but alot of it is old wives tales, this really makes things as unstressful as possible for both owner and puppy.
0Comment|180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2006
Sent for this book after buying a new Labrador puppy. I chanced on this book after researching on Amazon for a guide to training a puppy. Thanks to customer reviews I found this book. Received within a couple of days which is excellent service from Amazon as always.
I devoured book quickly as puppy growing fast and so I needed to learn fast. As per the other reviews, this book is easy reading, covers a wide range of topics that any new puppy owner needs to know and gave me all the basic information I needed for guidance to raise my puppy to be a healthy happy well trained puppy.
Used some techniques straight away to stop nipping and over excitement and our puppy cottoned on very quickly.
Any worries re. health and feeding and behaviour can be looked up quickly and fears allayed.
We are responsible owners but would never learn all that basic information so quickly.
A great read and at vet's practice today I was telling the vet's nurse and she has to help and give her first talk next week re. -puppy socialisation classes which our puppy has attended. Nurse is rather nervous and asked me what book it was. I told her and she is going to purchase it from Amazon so she is able to get information for her talk next week.
Wish I had known about this book before I bought a puppy but at this stage it has enhanced our ownership and allayed any worries easily and our vet is very impressed with our handling of puppy re. paws and teeth and ears so vet is able to deal with puppy without any problems because he is so used to being handled in such a way. So praise from a very grateful vet and nurse as well and our puppy is only just under 4 months old!
Big thanks to Gwen Bailey the author!!
And thanks to the Amazon site for lots of customer reviews and information as otherwise I would never have found this book!
I have never written a book review before and so the book must be good.
0Comment|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2002
Everyone has a theory about how to train your dog, and everyone who has a dog will be keen to offer you advice on your new puppy. However in this book, it shows you the way to live with the ups and downs of your puppy growing up and how to cope with the sometimes-frustrating parts of living with a puppy, as well as how to help your pup develop into a well mannered and happy dog. There aren't any wonderful or 'wise' cures in here, it helps us realise the best way to understand our puppy, is to use our common sense.
The author is obviously a person with vast experience and know how. The book is written very well and succeeds in showing us two things: One, how as a puppy owner to deal with behaviour that is not acceptable and how to train and encourage growth in out pet, and two, That the world from the eyes of a puppy is very different to ours, and there are reasons why they do things, and that our pets behaviour is a way of it expressing its needs and wants, and to help them grow, we have to understand this as best we can.
This is the ONLY book I would suggest a puppy owner, or someone thinking about getting a puppy to buy, read and use as a reference over the first few, and sometimes stressful months that your puppy will be in his or her new home.
Good luck..:)
0Comment|262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2000
If you are considering a puppy or already have a puppy you should also have a copy of this book. Breeders should give one free with every puppy sold!
on 8 November 2006
When I got my first puppy, I'd carry this book with me everywhere, it answered all the questions I had about my puppies behaviour and taught me in easy to understand terms how to and most importantly what not to do. It's so easy to get it wrong when training dogs, this is why so many dogs are given away after 6 months because they have not been trained properly, if you follow the basic instructions in this book it will make your dog owning life & your puppies life so much easier.
on 27 November 2004
As a breeder of a minority breed which are known for their difficulty in training amongst even professional handlers I gave this book a whirl with my last litter's new owners.
Absolutely fantastic, a godsend to all of them even those who've owned the breed before such simple examples of how dogs think and behave made life a lot easier for puppies and new owners. No more frantic phone calls about new or what is normal or not normal behaviours their answers were in the book regardless of the breed idiosyncrasy, just wonderful updates on how well things were going and how enjoyable their pups were.
This book is a must for any dog owner and I will be sending a copy with every puppy I breed from now on.
on 2 September 2003
This dog owners book is a must offering clear and easy to digest information.
I found this book very helpful when our puppy first arrived and even now she is an adult refer to it from time to time. Although she will never be on one man and his dog!many of the things I have learned from this book helped me to make sense of why dogs do the things they do also how to prevent potential behavioural problems and as the book states, many behavioural problems are not caused by irresponsible owners but simply insufficient knowledge.Covering subjects from puppyhood to adolescence and beyond.
on 25 July 2008
We got our puppy 4 weeks ago. Without this book, I would probably have gone crazy. With this book, we have managed to housetrain our puppy in around 3 weeks.
Some really good advice from the book:
1) get a puppy playpen for your puppy. This means that you can keep the puppy somewhere safe so that you don't need to watch it 100% of the time for 16 hours of the day. Otherwise, your puppy will wander all over your house and wee and poo everywhere. Having a puppy pen (NOT a crate) allows you to have a bit more control but still allow your puppy a safe area to play and sleep.
2) the book has a suggested routine for your dog. As this is our first puppy, we literally would not have known when to feed it and when to take it out to meet people and when to let it rest. So the routine was really useful in the first week. After the first week, we established our own routine - but in that first week, it gave us a valuable structure for how to look after our puppy and keep it safe and happy.
There's loads of great advice in this book and we've started teaching our puppy how to sit on command. And we have taught our puppy how to wee and poo in the garden and outside when it goes for walks now - all in just a few weeks thanks to this brilliant book!