Customer Discussions > Hot Rats forum

People who have gotten used to and love the CD mix of this album.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 May 2008 02:33:29 BDT
Mag says:
I've never heard the vinyl version of Hot Rats, but I love the CD version.
However I've heard the vinyl version of Freak Out by the Mothers and that was superior compared to the CD version, so I think I know what people are whining about.

My question is, is there anyone out there who prefers the CD version of Hot Rats over the vinyl? (Only post if you have heard both please.)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2008 11:55:22 BDT
If I remember rightly there are only a couple of tracks where the difference is very noticeable. The track I noticed most was Peaches en Regalia which is not as nice to listen to on the CD; the CD mix sounds kind of ungainly to me because on the LP it sounds like a group playing in perfect unison and any change will focus your attention on some particular instrument more than the ensemble playing. I don't really like favourite albums being remixed this way as they are obviously artifacts of their time and and people have a strong memory of the music being a certain way. I don't mean that I dislike remixes period, just that I'd prefer to have the original sound and the remix to compare. But the original may have had some recording inadequacies that meant the sound balance had to be changed. Sorry, that's a bit irrelevant. Generally I would prefer the LP (which I no longer have) but the CD is mostly pretty much the same - to my ear.

Posted on 4 May 2012 13:41:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2012 14:12:48 BDT
JayJayDee says:
Edward,
If Mr Saltiel no longer has the vinyl I fear he is no longer qualified to comment on this topic. Our memories are notoriously clogged with nostalgia. I expected to prefer the original but have to admit I have changed my mind.
I have both and have transferred the vinyl to CD. Then 3 years ago I bought the CD.
There is more fuzziness and muddiness and harmonic distortion on the vinyl mix which was a trademark of the era.
CD clarity is not liked by many who played loud music through 20 watt amplifiers and overstretched poor speakers in the 60s and 70s. They remember what they want to remember and ESPECIALLY the fantastic time they had in those days.
However, the CD mix is clearer and better.

But I do still play the vinyl versions sometimes! On my .wav file and CD copies, with the scratches filtered. Surface noise and harmonic distortion is still way up in the dB levels (at only about -25dB) and not to be encouraged if musical fidelity is your aim!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2013 17:32:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Feb 2013 09:34:31 GMT
70s says:
You should get the new 2012 version of hot rats amazing. I have the old remixed Hot Rats and the 2012 analogue mix of Hot Rats. They both have their plus points, but I remember having the vinyl and loving it. The remix always struck me as a bit processed and digital . Now I have the new analogue master version I prefer it due to its nice dynamics and punch. Verdict...you need both the remix for the extras and the new analogue master for the memories and feeling

Posted on 4 Feb 2014 11:55:48 GMT
Big Swifty says:
I think what the new CD mix has brought out is the superb bottom end. The bass on Son Of Mr Green Genes is wonderful. The same applies to the new CD mix of 'Burnt Weeny'. I grew up with the original vinyl but it is very interesting (in a project/object/its all one album sense) to hear the guitar solos unedited. There are several nips and tucks if you know the originals backwards! Whatever, Hot Rats took 1969 by the scuff of the neck and gave it a good kicking!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Hot Rats forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  28 May 2008
Latest post:  4 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Hot Rats [US-Import]
Hot Rats [US-Import] by Frank Zappa (Audio CD)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (66)