on 1 February 2011
I have a son of 12 who has autism and suffers from incredibly controlling behaviour. This is the only book I have found that actually offers practical advice on how to live with the controlling behaviour and try to deal with it. Its easy to read without being too much "psycho-babble" which is the trouble with so many autism help books. I would thoroughly recommend it and have leant it to my son's SENCO to try to get his school understanding his issues better.
on 31 December 2009
I have a fifteen year old son with Asperger Syndrome and at times his behaviour can be challenging to say the least. I have returned to this book time and time again. It does not pull any punches about the difficulties faced by parents of people on the Autistic Spectrum. It offers tips on how to look for the causes of difficult behaviour, how to prioritise which behaviour you want to tackle, and also advice on when it is best just to withdraw, and tackle the behaviour at a later date.
It is also quite clear that changing problem behaviour can take weeks, months or may in fact never change. It then offers ideas about how to cope with it.
There are no easy answers to this difficult situation, but this book has been the most helpful I have found so far.
on 2 November 2013
Excellent wider advice on how to improve outcomes for the affected individual, this doesn't waste time telling you what u already know, it's for those who have knowledge of ASD but looking for 'outside the box' thinking and problem solving. All seems so obvious once you read it. Highly recommended, especially in complex cases, for professionals as well as parents. A 'must read' for any one affected by ASD
on 27 April 2013
I have been studying for a PgCert in Autism studies and I work with young people with ASC in a main stream school. Consequently I do a lot of reading.This book was on our reading list.
There are plenty of strategy and intervention ideas, some of which I have put into practice with my own students.
So I would strongly recommend this book for both theoretical and practical use. It's also very readable and I could identify with many of the examples used.
on 4 February 2012
This is an excellent book, with great information and ideas about how to deal with difficult situations. He is a great educator.
on 18 February 2016
I only read few pages but it is very good book. It catches my interest and want to read in one go but because of the time I only read it few pages. I would say, brilliant author with great knowledge about people with autism who displays challenging behaviour.

Thanks for the delivery.
on 6 October 2014
Good insight but for more severe cases
on 6 January 2015
Good reading.
on 8 July 2010
This title is a great example of Neurotypical people behaving badly in their portrayal of autistic people. Yes, many Autistic people have extremely challenging and even dangerous behaviors. But to frame these as "behaving badly" is just demeaning. It's possible to talk about these issues in a respectful and constructive way without resorting to hyperbolic stereotypes.