on 11 July 2009
I've been after a DSLR for some time, having used digital compacts and film SLRs, and I spent some time thinking about what I needed. As I had an old Pentax ME Super, I felt drawn towards a Pentax DSLR as their compatibility with old lenses thrashes all the other manufacturers hands down. Practically every Pentax-fit lens ever made can be used with this camera (albeit with a few small limitations).

Pentax have really done a good job with this one. It's small, well laid out, easy to use, and full of features. You can stick it on auto and let it do everything for you, or dig deep into manual functions and settings and play around to your heart's content. There are literally millions of great lenses out there at good prices, and the thing runs off AA batteries for ease of use - and is very economical with them as well! I've had my first set of lithiums in there for nearly a month and they're still going strong!

It misses off a few of the features more advanced photographers might want, and I'm not completely convinced the kit lenses are all that good, but as it works with my old lenses that's not a problem. But...as a first foray into the world of DSLRs, I'm really, really impressed, and it's given me a new enthusiasm for photography. Highly recommended.
on 4 May 2009
This is my first foray into the realms of dslr cameras. This one worked for me straight out of the box. comfortable in the hand, menu's easy to read and understand even for a novice. I even went to the extent of purchasing an extra lens a 55 - 200 this also works well. I would recommend this camera to anyone as a first dslr.
on 28 April 2009
I bought this camera for my girlfriend as she wanted to get back in to photography again. First thing you notice is the weight of the camera, very light but solid at the same time.

it is increadably easy to use as well, it has a variety of tools without getting to complicated. the one thing i liked about this camera was it had all the nessisary features which you need on a camera without going overboard.

i have used cameras before that have a multitude of features which frankly I only need when i can see the picture properly on a computer.

I was very impressed with this camera and my girlfriend has had much use out of it with no problems at all. I would recomend this camera to anyone, I can only imagine what the better models are like if their entry level is like this.
on 2 June 2010
I chose this camera because I had, for many years, used a Pentax KM SLR camera and wished to make use of the additional K-bayonet lenses I already possessed.

The booklet provided is quite informative although, irritatingly for British readers, it uses American spellings. I had no difficulty using the standard settings, or attaching my existing lenses, but it took some time to discover how to make them work. (For those interested: press the Menu button and select option C. Then choose page 3 and select `19.Using aperture ring'. Finally press OK, select `2 Permitted' and press OK again).

Despite this initial difficulty, I am extremely pleased with it. Both the camera and the lens provided work extremely well and produce consistently excellent results.
on 16 December 2009
what can i say its been said you will not go rong with this Pentax K-m camera have had it for one year now the photos are great easy to use great just great
on 4 August 2010
Most has been said in previous reviews. This camera comfortably outperforms all what is in dslr-entry-level and succefuly competes with higher level cameras.

Top feratures: great ISO performance / noise control, stabilized body, AA power source (> 1000 photos and with good 2700 NiMHs even over 1500 easily - can't be matched by any proprietary li-on battery). Good kit lens.

And really excellent photo results. Pentax made fantastic job putting togehter useful and advanced features (which are often found in semi-pro range) into compact body with high quality CMOS chip and control.

Truly top stuff, well done, Pentax.
on 8 December 2014