Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jan 2009 12:32:21 GMT
I Wilson says:
I am a total beginner on Buddhism, need advice on which book to start with, so that I am not totally lost. Please help anybody???

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2009 10:49:33 GMT
DJ says:
I am also a beginner - I've read 2 books so far, none by Chodron. I don't think it matters where you start as long as you are happy to accept not always understanding straight away.
I would really rate Ariel & Shya Kane's 'Working on Yourself Doesn't Work' as a first read. It is zenlike but without the jargon. I might try one of Chodron's books now.
Cheers
Deb

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2009 20:10:28 BDT
bobbygw says:
howdy I Wilson. all of these are good and clear guides - buddhism for dummies - by jonathan landaw and stephen bodian (ISBN 1559391537), and buddhism for beginners by thubten chodron (ISBN: 0764553593). a great one for zen buddhism in particular is jean smith's the beginner's guide to zen buddhism for beginners (ISBN:0609804669).

in related asian philosophies, taoism is fascinating, especially lao tzu (tao de ching, though i'd be surprised if you haven't read that already). i highly recommend the wonderful alan watts, who was and remains one of the best (clear, accessible and thought provoking) writers on taoism, with tao, the watercourse way (ISBN 0394733118). it's fab, as are many of his.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  7 Jan 2009
Latest post:  11 May 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living
Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living by Pema Chödrön (Paperback - 2 Jun. 2003)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (32)