on 26 September 2009
I never knew they existed til I needed one for my partners 9 year old daughter. Excellent, works a treat, no more ink blobbing!
Father Christmas bought this for our 10-year-old son so I think he was pretty keen for our son to improve his writing. The gift was very well received and our boy uses it all the time at school. It is very easy to hold and distinctive so that it doesn't get muddled up with other kids' pens. Two months on and there have been no spills or ink-stained fingers and our son still enjoys using it. I can't say it is a miracle worker on the handwriting front but if a kid doesn't like his pen, he's never going to learn to write well, so the fact that this pen is so appealing to children is more than half the battle.
11 comment8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2013
I've looked at the other reviews and they seem really positive. Well, my daughter tried it (she's left handed) and the pen smudges.In order to not smudge, you have to blow on the writing or wait for a short period of time! Still, it makes her hand writing neater.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2011
Bought this for my left handed 9 year old son who needed to use a fountain pen when he went into Year 5. I was unsure if he would be able to use a fountain pen as you can smudge your writing when you are left handed, but this pen is very good. He loves it and writes very neatly with it. The ink dries very quickly so no smudging. Bought refills from amazon also. You can put the childs name onto the pen and it is protected by a plastic cover.
on 12 February 2015
Bought for my grandson as he is left handed and had'nt seen them before. He is very pleased with it. Thanks.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2013
Like others of my age, I learned to write using a fountain pen, and still use one today. Sadly most children are now taught using a ball point pen, resulting in less legible, characterless work.

An advantage of the modern era is that children are not forced to use the right hand when the natural inclination is to use the left. However, the left handed child needs a nib with a different profile.

In view of the above I bought this Pelikan pen for my grandson. He loves it. In consequence his elder brother (right handed) wanted one which I duly provided.

Whether left or right handed, do your children or grandchildren a favour and buy this. If you do not use a fountain pen, buy one: you will never use a ball point again.