on 19 July 2011
Ben Hope is back in this action-packed novella by Scott Mariani. When an old comrade dies in a mysterious plane crash Hope starts to investigate in his typical work hard/play hard style. The tension and pace mount as Mariani leads you along another gritty adventure as information supplied by his friend's daughter leads to a cover-up and conspiracy involving international terrorism. This prequel fills in gaps in Hope's background that addicted readers like me will love as we get to know him better. I was a bit dubious, prequels having been a bit over-used of late, but I'm pleased to say that my reservations were unfounded - this is another great thriller in its own right and a great way to introduce new readers to the character. The writing is as snappy and fast-paced as the predecessors - read it this morning and now can't wait for the next in the series. Hurry up Scott! Eh-hem, I mean, Mr. Mariani!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 August 2011
I have not read anything by this author before, but i like a good action adventure thriller, at 49p i thought why not, a quick brain clean before the next serious read.
Have to say i was not disapointed, this was as i understand it a prequel to a longer running series and showed in that the character is well formed and is alive on the page already, the writing is fast / pacy and the book crammed with action and fun.

I can offer no better praise than im off to get book 1 of the series.

well worth a read for a fun

(Parm)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 July 2011
As a big fan of the Ben Hope series of books, I was aware this prequel eBook (a stop gap before the publication of Ben Hope 7) was on the way but wasn't sure when. I am very glad it is now here and snapped it up!

This short novel (can easily be read in one or two sittings) is set a few years before the first Hope novel The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope 1). The archaeological/historical element is removed and instead we have a tight and focused thriller. SAS soldier Hope is on medical leave from Iraq, having taken a bullet. The leave is interrupted by the news that his former comrade, Nick Chapman, has killed himself. Even worse is the news that he did it by crashing onto a reef a small passenger jet that he was piloting, incinerating everyone on board. Chapman had shown signs of depression before and so it's not treated as suspicious but when his frightened daughter meets with Ben after the funeral and plays back a secret message from her father, recorded on the plane to her voice mail, it's clear that something else sinister happened on that plane. Something that other people will kill to keep quiet. Ben soon finds himself in the Caribbean on their trail.

Set against a background of international terrorism and conspiracy, this is as well written as one would expect from Scott Mariani. It is different from the later Hope series (considerably shorter, no historical element) but if those books made you want to know more about this charismatic, hard living, hard drinking and often solitary hero, then this book just does the trick. If you're new to Ben Hope, this would be a great place to start.
on 20 July 2011
This is a great prequel to the rest of the series, which I enjoyed just as much as this. I can't get enough of the dashing and daring Ben Hope for some reason. The action is intense and the plot thickens as Hope uncovers a shadowy conspiracy after the death of his friend. Up close and personal! Can't wait for the next one!
on 9 October 2011
This is my first Scott Mariani book (although not the first in a series, I have no idea how I came across it) I totally loved it. It starts with SAS soldier Ben Hope going to his old fried and comrades funeral believing the ex soldier killed himself and his passengers in a horrible suicide plan. Nicks daughter approaches him after the funeral very cagey and upset and tells Ben that her dad didn't kill himself and she has proof. What follows is a tangled web of murder, lies and deceit for Ben and a fast paced action packed story for the reader.

It goes at a great pace, the characters are easy to remember and for me Ben Hope was brilliant and reminded me of one of my favorite actors from my childhood, Chuck Norris of course. Just the way he behaved, handled the situations he found himself in and ultimate decent good guy that your rooting for.

I would definitely read more of his work and may just go and track the books before and after this one, 4/5 for me.
on 16 September 2011
I was not aware of this book coming out but as a fan of the others I was really extatic that I had this to read on holiday. Unfortunatley I read the entire book by the time i got off the plane and now can't wait for the next one.
on 30 December 2015
If you have never read any of the work penned by Scott Mariani, this would be a delicious taster of what this author produces. This is a rather shorter story than usual but, is still packed brim full with action that does not lose it's pace right through till the end. This is yet another Ben Hope action packed thriller that will keep you glued to the pages. If you like action and adventure with a military theme then this is one for you.
on 22 August 2011
This is the first Ben Hope book that I've read. Although it's quite short I thoroughly enjoyed the fast paced action packed read. Really looking forward to reading some more about Ben Hope.

Happy Reading
on 1 November 2012
I've read a couple of Scott Mariani's books before and very much enjoyed them. When I was searching through ebook/ Novellas on Amazon, I came across Passenger 13 and as it was a `Ben Hope' book, I downloaded it without hesitation. I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.

Ben Hope is a great hero for the book and I love the fact that he has his flaws as well. Although Passenger 13 doesn't have the historical references that some of the later books have, it's a great read and gives some background to Ben Hope which was nice to find out about. Lots of action, fast paced, twists and turns in the plot as always, stuff that really keeps you on your toes.
on 10 January 2012
I've read the majority of the Ben Hope books and I've enjoyed most of them.

This is a Kindle special and is a novella, so it's a little shorter than the standard fair, but in this case it benefits for it. Why - well becuase it means all the action is squeezed into a smaller book.

It's a real action adventure as Hope travels to Grand Caymen to investigate the mysterious death of an old army friend. Sure, as with most of the hope books, you have to suspend a little belief, but as a piece of escapism it really can't be missed.

Excellent, and I for one would love some more Ben Hope novella in the future.