Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 3 January 2007
Maybe it was the fact that I couldn't get into this book at first that I foolishly left it approximately a month between picking it up to read the first chapter, and finishing it off. But by the time I'd returned to the book, it took me longer to reacquaint myself with the vast number of characters who appear on the boat, than a real Adriatic crossing. Like River of Death that I bought at the same time, this doesn't quite feel long enough to be a real novel. The journey aspect to this "road-trip" novel is well paced, but falters badly at the end as the purpose of the trip just sort of fizzles out. It is almost as if Maclean gets bored by the end, and tries to tie up the novel in a quick chapter. The plot climax premise is tenable, but badly executed in the same way that Where Eagles Dare, isn't. Maclean tries to play on the deep divisions within the Balkan peoples, and weave this into the eventual reasoning, but doesn't carry it off. The end comes too quickly, and is badly executed. The usual anti-hero Petersen is good, and George and Alex, but some of the other characters are a little obvious and blunt.
This is a complex book and for me too many charactors. There are many people who I just could not remember what part they played in the story.

To me the ending was rushed.

3 stars as there are some great passages.
on 19 April 2014
This book is an unusual war time story, and once you start to read sweeps you along.
I did find it difficult to get into, as I found the first few pages a bit confusing, but stick with it
and you will find it hits it stride and you will enjoy it.
This book is OK but far from the best Alistair McClean book I have read. The story was interesting but much of it relied on a conversation between an unlikely group of people with very little action. I judge a book by how hard it is to put down at night. A good book results in a short night's sleep. The best thing I can say about Partisans is that it let me sleep well.
on 29 August 2007
The Partisans in Yugoslavia, led by Josip Broz Tito, are fiercly and effectively resisting the German occupation of their homeland. Fighting such courage and resilience and the waning morale of their Italian allies, the German High Command masterminds a strategy which will totally annihilate the Partisan resistance. Three men are given the dangerous assignment of conveying the battle plan to the pro-German Yugoslav Royalists. Three men, led by the enigmatic Major Peter Petersen, all highly trained in the skills of espionage and guerrilla warfare. Three men who are tough, ruthless and fearless. And all are Yugoslavs. But where do their loyalties lie? And who are the four strangers Petersen is forced to escort on the hazardous journey? As Major Petersen and his squad sail stealthily across the Adriatic sea and into the desolate terrain of war-torn Yugoslavia, betrayal, suspicion and fear close in like the chill mists of the Dalmatian mountains.
on 11 April 2014
Alistair Maclean at his best. With a tightly woven plot, plenty of fast moving action, it is a true thriller. As so many characters were introduced at the same time it is sometimes difficult to tell friend from foe but this does not detract from a ripping yarn.
on 30 December 2014
A long time since I last read a book by Alastair MacLean and I was rather disappointed
on 19 January 2015
Great story from a excellent novelist.
on 13 September 2015