on 24 February 2014
This is the fourth book in the Alice Parker's Adventures for children. I loved it!

Alice Parker is a fantastic character! She is a very special girl. She is a Finwip (a descendant of fairies), and the only Finwip able to fly. Her abilities and powers are growing, but when she starts hearing pigeons talking to her, even she thinks she is going crazy! I loved this girl when I first met her in the first book, Alice Parker's Metamorphosis. But, I am absolutely in awe of how this character has grown in each book. She has gained confidence each time she has had to face a difficult challenge. However, this may be the strangest challenge yet!

This is a fantastic continuation of the series! I have wanted to read this book for a while. The Finwips are a fascinating group of people. They have many different and unique abilities that range from invisibility to super sensitive hearing. Alice finds herself embroiled in another exciting adventure that had me sitting on the edge of the seat! She is convinced that she must be going crazy, because she keeps hearing voices, and a pigeon seems to be following her all over London. The suspense and mystery kept me hooked. There is even a re-appearance of an old enemy. However, things are not what they seem and when all is revealed, I was completely surprised! This is a fast paced, action packed adventure that will keep children from the ages of 9-13 completely engrossed! In fact, I struggled to put it down myself! There are several twists and turns that had me guessing, and I was even in tears at one point. I have no idea when the next book will be available, but I would love to read it as soon as it's released!

Nicola Palmer has written an amazing children's series that is enchanting, exciting and all round good fun! Her writing style is fast paced, but easy enough for youngsters to read and follow. She is one of my favourite children's book authors!

I highly recommend this book (and series) to children and adults alike! - Lynn Worton
on 20 March 2013
I love this series and already can't wait for the next. This book was a quick, light read and highly enjoyable even as an adult. It doesn't get bogged down in details or with background characters keeping the story simple and easy to follow, since it is aimed at children I consider it to be perfect (even for those who can only claim to be children at heart).

Once again trouble has hit the Parker family, it's the last thing they need after revealing their secret to their parents at the end of the last book, who are still struggling to come to terms with the news. Alice is due to fill in for a friends sister at a concert in London but shortly before they are due to leave part of Alice's inheritance from her Grandfather's Aunt Jennifer has been stolen by a member of the local Sinwip family, the Parker family's nemesis'. They travel to London anyway in preparation for playing at the concert, and that's when the adventure starts.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 September 2013
Rating: 4.4

Alice Parker and The Sound of the Silent is book 4 of The Alice Parker's Adventures), a book for Young Adults. It is very well written and ... magical.
I would like to say for the new comers into the series that ideally, you should start by book 1 Alice Parker's Metamorphosis  and carry on with Book 2, 3 and this one. I think you will enjoy it better.
The Sound of Silence is another fantastic read. Way too short though. I could read and read and read about the Finwips and their village. Or about the evil Sinwips. I think the other books are on the same length but because I read them one after the other, I did not realise.

Ok, why only 4 stars then? Actually, it would be more like 4.45, but Amazon does not allow for half stars. Shame. Well, it is because Thomas had to do something that was not right. I do not want to say what it is , but I think that it would have been more realistic if the author had made it look like, that after all ...errr.. the beneficiary of Thomas' abilities was only in a deep, deep, deep sleep induced by the poisonous chemicals in Fabian's claws. Yes, I know, we are in the weird and magical already but it does not hurt to have a bit of realism, does it?

I think it would attract girls more than boys, but the book is well balanced with the characters. And the good thing is thate there is no power struggle between the two genders. I like that. Also, the youth are really likeable. They can be cheeky but they are never rude.

As a mother who is concerned about what my children read, I think all the Alice Parker books are a good read for youngsters 11+ (I tried my 10 year old daughter to read Alice Parker's metamorphosis, but I think she is not ready yet. It is on her Kindle, so, whenever she is. I'll be happy if she reads it.)

As for me, I will be waiting impatiently for book 5, and, a little note for the author : ''can we have it a big longer next time, please, pretty please?''.

Download it and enjoy!
on 12 December 2013
I loved this book! Unfortunately it's the last one in the series. (I think) I am 13 and so is Alice so it makes it so much more exciting. She is quite similar to me apart from being a finwip! This is an amazing book for all ages and I hope there are more soon!
on 15 October 2013
I LOVED this book!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'VE READ THE ENTIRE SERIES LOADS OF TIMES AND JUST FINISHED THIS ONE AND ALREADY CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
on 4 May 2013
Amazing book good plot I`'ve never read anything like it it was

A M A Z I N G awesome
on 16 October 2013
I enjoyed this book because of the way it's written and the laughter and enjoyment in it. I would like to read more of Alice Parker and more of Nicola Palmer's writing and imagination. I really hope that she writes more Alice Parker.
on 16 April 2013
Fshsuusjsjsjsjshshsh hedgehogs gadget bag ssh staffs from free throws great great things that they shouldn't Sturgis substantive version here hdt