on 6 December 2001
There is sound advice in this book which would be helpful to any parent. It is mainly written for dealing with the challenging ages of 2 to 6 year olds, and advocates a step by step approach over a period of 5 weeks. You are encouraged to learn a new parenting skill each week which is further broken down into a day by day schedule. This regimented approach did not appeal to me, although I strongly agree with the principles and methods.
This book addresses the important issue of negative reinforcement which is so prevalent with strong willed children. For a more detailed insight I would highly recommend the book, "The Manipulative Child: How to Raise Resilient, Resourceful, and Independent Kids".
The second half of the book gives excellent advice and examples on how to apply the techniques. Although I did not agree with the one size fits all approach, I do recommend reading the book as it does offer much authorative advice. Other books I feel are very helpful are "Ain't Misbehavin" by William P Garvey, "Setting Limits" by Robert J MacKenzie, and "How to talk so your kids will listen and listen so your kids will talk".
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Based on sound research and experience the book provides a 5 week programme that parents work through at home on coping effectively with strong-willed behaviour. Having used the techniques myself as a prfossional and parent I know they work! A must read for parents of younger children and those working with them and their families.
Dr Andy Gill
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again