on 18 November 2013
I quite enjoyed reading this book. Eric Toensmeier has written about permaculture and forest gardening elsewhere, and this book continues in the same vein. However, this one isn't really a reference book so much as an autobiography with gardening mixed into it. I enjoyed reading it, but if you want more of a reference manual then any of the following is a better place to start:

1. Eric's own two volume work 'Edible Forest Gardens'
2. Martin Crawford's 'Creating a Forest Garden'
3. Patrick Whitefield's 'How to Make a Forest Garden'
on 7 March 2014
I enjoyed this book: like everything I have bought from Chelsea Green, it was intelligently written. I would have loved to see a lot more detailed information on the planting guilds the guys tried over time, but the information that was there was inspiring. It has made me want to buy the other book Eric Toensmeier has co-written with Dave Jacke. Huzzah for Chelsea Green for spreading the knowledge and skills that will be the tool-kits that enable hope for our future to translate into successful, resilient, local food production chain or centres that bring enlightened communities together.
on 1 December 2013
A very endearing account of two guys who are passionate about plants, nature and a the planning and planting of their much longed for garden. A story of the gradual transformation of barren, hard ground into a wholesome and ecosystem with their trials and errors. A very useful book for anyone who would like to try to achieve something like this, and their ideas with the choice of edible perennial plants work for the most part in the UK climate. A real treasure trove for the alternative gardener!
on 29 September 2014
I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't quite what I expected, in that it isn't a "how to", but I just couldn't put it down. It describes the journey of a couple of friends who found some urban land and did some very cool stuff with it. I think what I most enjoyed was the frisson of recognition of mutual plant geekdom...to the point where I even have the same nerdy book on unusual fruit by my bedside. One for plant geeks everywhere!
on 19 August 2013
I really liked the detail of the book while it was still interesting to read, more of a story than a boring record about establishing permaculture in the northeast.
on 17 May 2014
A lovely history which helps you understand the benefits of permaculture and how simple it can be to get started
on 20 March 2016
A great read and packed full of useful information and plants that you had possibly never heard of.