on 24 October 2011
I took a risk buying this as early comments from pixel peepers looked discouraging. I only shoot stills and had bought into the G2 system to use when my D300 system was just too heavy. My D300 with its 18-200mm and Sigma 10-20mm totals 1970gms. I had intended to as near as possible replicate this set up on the G2 using their 14-140 lens, but was surprised to find that at 458gms it was only 20% lighter than Nikon's 18-200mm and felt pretty top heavy on the G2. It was also nearly £150 more expensive than the Nikon lens. So I went for the 14-45, (150gms) which seemed to have better reviews than the 14-42, and I'm delighted with it. The 45-200 was my next thought, but again, I was surprised to see how heavy it was at 381gms. I tried the much lighter Olympus 45-150, (190gms) and while it was excellent I found that because it has no IS, I was unable to get sharp enough results, so I returned it.
So I was just about to order the 45-200 when I found out about the 45-175. It's expensive, but at 207gms it's 45% of the weight of the 45-200. So far I can only say it's wonderful. Don't be put off by reviews that say it's a power zoom only - it will also zoom manually - and very smoothly - and without lens creep. I am more than satisfied with the image quality. It isn't a Nikon 24-70, but then neither is the Nikon 18-200. It balances beautifully on the camera, especially because the lens moves internally, so doesn't lengthen when you zoom.
I probably won't get the other new Power X lens, the 14-42, because I find it helps me to have just enough weight in the camera to prevent camera shake when I press the shutter. But please Panasonic, bring out a lightweight wide angle Power zoom - I'll be at the front of the queue.
33 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2013
good quality pictures, easy to use and lightweight weight. the best feature is the internal focusing mechanism which means the lens does not get longer as you focus and there is no lens creep. all the automatic features work, a quality piece of kit
on 23 April 2014
I have used this lens for the last week and taken over 100 images with it. I am really impressed with the detailed images - significantly better than the Panasonic 45-150mm f4-5.6 which I also own. The zoom reach is great, and the way the zoom works (internally) is superb - it is really quick and it means the lens doesn't extend at all. The barrel coupling to the lens is clearly electronic but the linkage is really well done and hardly noticeable.
An excellent lens, and one for me that makes micro 4/3 what it should be - highly portable *and* high quality.
on 14 September 2012
I bought this to go with a GX1. I have, so far, been really impressed. It is really, really light, very sharp and on my camera shows no signs of any issues mentioned elsewhere re IS. It does not extend and zooms internally. Zoom via the camera or the lens in traditional way is nice + the focus locks on really quickly.

Build is excellent - even though it is light and I saw no reason to go for the larger 45-200 zoom ... This lens seems really well suited to the GX1 and together with the 14-42 I think I have an ideal combination. I have tended to use this lens on the camera with the LVF2 viewfinder as I am used to a big SLR ... but there is no reason no to use it without as the lens is so light and easy to use.

I definitely recommend the lens ... it has been an eye opener for quality given it's size compared to 'normal' SLR lenses - most of which won't cover a 35mm equivalent of 90-350mm that this lens gives !
on 24 November 2014
Exceptional, recent trip to Europe and this lens shines. Its a better deal than the 150mm and better build quality than the 200mm.

Photos are sharp and the power zoom provides smooth zooming perfect for video.

Build quality is good for a plastic lens and the focus wheel is very smooth.
I'm using this lens with a Panasonic DMC-G7 camera. The firmware versions as of November 2015 are 1.2 for the lens and 2.0 for the camera. The lens handles nicely on the G7 and for me it feels more at home than the 14-42 standard lens that came with the G7. Zoom adjustment can be via the power zoom slider or the manual zoom ring, with the focal length shown on the G7 screen or electronic viewfinder. The power zoom is smooth and quiet. Focusing is almost as quick as the 14-42 lens, although I haven't tried tracking shots or video as yet. I believe that the G7 firmware includes automatic adjustment for the lens and there wasn't noticeable vignetting when I used the loupe tool in Silkypix Developer Studio 6 to view RAW images. Images are sharp and have natural colour that is vibrant with the right subjects.

I wouldn't have paid the price when this was first marketed, but it's a nice lens and I'm happy to have bought it in 2015.
on 4 July 2012
Brilliant powered lense uses an internally zoomed system so no dust is not carried back in to the housing, nice balanced size as you have not got the weight of the zoom, overall so practically built.
on 3 July 2013
does what it says on th tin, excelent VFM. Used first time on holiday with great results. The clarity of focus was very impressive and with OIS, picture sharpness was perfect.
on 6 December 2014
Delivery prompt and packaging appropriate. Excellent lens, but internal camera flash casts a shadow with the lens being much larger. You will need to use an external flash.
Lens excellent for long range photography, birds, wild life etc. 350mm equavelent. Recommended.
on 25 October 2011
Before I start, I dunno if it's only a problem with my lens or a conception problem.
This lens has a big problem with the stabilizer: a focal length of 175mm must speeds below 1/400", and with a maximum aperture to f/5.6,I'll let you judge for its ability to take pictures in cloudy weather even at 1600 ISO .
It's a shame because in terms of design, it is a real success: it is compact and lightweight, the zoom motor is a real find and its optical quality is very acceptable.
Fixing the hood is not pleasant because it's rubbing plastic against plastic.
If a solution is found for the stabilizer then it probably deserves four stars.

I made a new test with GH2 and the new lens firmware 1.1: the stabilizer is working, accordingly I change my rating from 1 to 4 stars.
99 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse