I purchased this after having problems with a Toshiba unit. I spent a little extra and chose the Panasonic DVD-S48.
Once unboxed and set up I thought I would try some of my region 1 dvds as I had noticed there are some multi region units available. Unfortunately this unit is not multi regional out of the box. I searched the internet for a multi region code and discovered the following was sucessful with my unit:
This hack requires the S48 remote plus a universal remote configured for the S48 with a separate 'Pause' button (or another Panasonic DVD remote with a separate 'Pause' button may work).
I used One For All URC 7562, prepared as follows:
1. Select DVD device on remote.
2. Hold magic button until the DVD button blinks twice.
3. Enter device code 0490 (DVD button blinks twice)
Neither the 'Play/Pause' nor 'Frame' buttons on the S48 remote work for this hack.
1. Power on.
2. Open tray.
3. Using the S48 remote press Audio, 1, 9, 8, 2, Subtitle
4. Using the other remote (URC 7562) press Pause.
5. Using the S48 remote press 0.
The DVD front panel should now show the text "on".
If so, the DVD is region-free.
Hope this is of some help.