on 1 February 2015
I bought this heater in Jan '15 direct from the Sports HQ website (as they had a further 15% discount at the time) after reading the reviews here on Amazon. I was a little sceptical due to comments about it not lighting properly. Sure enough, once assembled I tried to ignite it but to no avail - or so I thought. After a couple of initial attempts at doing what I thought was correct, I re-read the instructions and found the 'viewing hole' located at the bottom of the large perforated burner - the hole was covered by a rotating disc held by a screw which needed loosening to get the disc to turn. I then had another go at igniting the heater whilst at the same time looking through the 'viewing hole' to see if the pilot light had lit - and it had, first time. As I'd done nothing different from my first attempts at igniting (other than looking through the viewing hole to check the pilot light), I concluded that it had probably ignited during those first attempts but me thinking it hadn't because I couldn't hear a loud rush of gas being burned. Thing is, you can't hear or clearly see the pilot burn when it's lit (well you can't on mine) so you may think it hasn't, when in fact it has. Thereafter, my well ventilated outdoor shack became lovely and warm and I'm extremely happy with the heater. Thought I'd share my experience in case it's of any help to others.
on 10 October 2011
Nice patio heater. Problem is it doesn't work! Ignition fails to light. After three uses it has given up altogether. The sports HQ want me to dismantle it and send it back after three months! Obviously I have discarded the packaging and would find it very difficult to disassemble!
Do not use these people without researching them online first. General consensus seems to be appalling customer service, which I would entirely agree with.
Amazon will not get involved after ninety days either. So I am stuck with a useless patio heater.
33 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2011
Product looks fantastic and is easy to assemble. However, I cant get the pilot flame to light, and consequently the main flame wont light. So, it doesnt work. There isnt an obvious way to get help either. So not very satisfied at all.
on 26 June 2015
Really good value for money - when I was researching I was a little put off by the 1 star reviews stating the product would not light. For these muppets I would advise to read the instructions correctly as on 1st ever ignition your are instructed to hold the pilot in for 1 minute (in order for the gas to flow sufficiently).
on 30 November 2011
This patio heater was easy to assemble, worked immediately and gacve off great heat on a very cold night. I would recommend it.
on 25 May 2011
happy with this, it works and heats an impressive area. I like the look of it which suits my patio, the only downside is that it cant be fixed to the ground.
However I would recommend if you dont want to fix it as it has wheels so you can easily move it around.
on 30 June 2016
Really powerful and smart in he garden. A little difficult to light at first until you get the hang of it. Quite easy to assemble and comes with own cover for the burner part of the heater. Takes 12kg gas bottle for long lasting heat.
on 31 May 2015
Easy to put together. Worked easily. Gives off good heat but it is too high if you are sitting down. This is only good for heating people up on a cold night if you stand up under it, as a lot of the heat disappears by the time it reaches seat level. I am still delighted that we have it, but we have also bought some cheap fire baskets that we have around the seating area, and at a fraction of the price they do a better job of heating up people seated at a table.
on 26 August 2013
Easy to set up, 15 minutes or so to build and produces heat without the annoying smokyness of a fire
on 25 March 2014
Excellent price, was a bit dubious due to other reviews about difficulty lighting or not working at all!
Easy to put together, regulator did not fit the gas bottle so emailed seller...and received a prompt reply. However, the problem was that the camping shop had sold us the wrong bottle! Apparently there are about four different attachments depending on what the gas is to be used for. 15kg Bottle and gas for about £60. With the right attachment the heater lit first time and kept us nice and warm for our March bar-b-que. We hope to get plenty more use out of it on our decking this Summer regardless of weather :-)