on 25 January 2013
A good quality paperback book containing appropriate illustrations, commentaries and translations. This is a book which endeavours to help those of us unfamiliar with old fashioned cursive script and letter forms. That this author knows her subject well is evident throughout the book.

Despite the considerable help I know is held within the pages of this tome, I still have difficulty in attempting to transcribe documents from the mid to late 1700's. I believe the reason for this difficulty lies within myself as there is a necessity to have some idea of what particular squiggle one is attempting to translate before finding it in the book. It is exceedingly difficult to do this in reverse. The individual 'hand' of each manuscript author, period of writing and locality contributes to the variety and this is covered by the extensive section on the characteristics of individual letters.

This is not an easy read but is a definite aid to understanding.
on 8 December 2012
This is an excellent book with many examples of early handwriting, with transcriptions and translations from Latin - which I needed for an old document. Very lucid commentaries, well printed and presented. I have already recommended to fellow
family researchers.
on 2 March 2014
Contains a long line of examples of each letter from around 1400 to 1800 with examples of transcriptions, notation and explanations in an easily digestable form. We're finding it very useful in our small group at present transcribing documents between 1707 & 1790 - especially as some of the forms of the letters appear to be very early forms (hot cross bun letter C for example). We have lots of previous examples from the course we all did on Transcribing old documents, but this brings things together in one small resource.
on 6 August 2015
This is a very good book for historians needing to understand how to transcribe late medieval and early modern manuscripts. Comprehensive and easy to read. It has an explanation of the differences between medieval and classical Latin; the symbols used for abbreviations in manuscripts and an Anglo-Norman French vocabulary.

Historians and students studying the 10th -13th century will probably need to refer to additional texts by Bischoff, Gosden, Charles Trice Martin, Sidwell, Thorley and Thoyts for examples of earlier script styles (e.g. court hands and Caroline miniscule script).

A good companion to Eileen Gooder's Latin for Local Historians. Marshall's book is good value for money.
on 11 May 2014
I hadn't realised how difficult it was to read "old" writing, now having read this book I am starting to be able to decipher words quicker.
on 20 August 2014
Great practice book
on 3 September 2015
Quick service and book in excellent condition
on 4 April 2015
Very useful as I am at present transcribing several 17th century probate records
on 11 January 2016
Very interesting and has information I haven't found elsewhere
on 1 January 2015
Excellent book and service.