on 7 May 2003
This is one of a few rare watercolour books that don't just teach brush and water techniques but instead emphasise the need to understand the structure and design of your work before you even start. Most books mention composition briefly, and perhaps skim over tonal value sketching, but this book completely emphasises these and other design elements that make the difference between a successful and a failed painting.
If I have one gripe about this book it is that Power's work is rarely true watercolour - it is almost always mixed media, with charcoal, crayon, and sometimes even collage. In particular he readily admits the use of visible charcoal lines to create the image, especially in the lower parts where he often leaves the paper white.
Nevertheless, this is invaluable advice to set you thinking about what the creative process consists of. An outstanding book.
on 15 April 1999
I have read many art books in my quest to learn to paint and Alex's book is the one I rave about to whoever will listen. I am impressed by Alex's logical approach to the subject,and, having had the pleasure to meet him, I was not surprised when he told me he used to be a computer programmer! The book is complete; I think everything you need to know is included and his guidance applies equally to landscape painting as well as to people. It is straightforward to read but not for the trivially minded. Alex is honest and at pains to put over his approach - which he does admirably. Shame he cannot spell "colour" correctly - Webster's got a lot to answer for!
on 25 February 1998
I have been reading and re-reading this book since December 1997. I have always had the desire to paint but never picked up a paintbrush because realistic painting did not leave me inspired to follow. The painting style that Alex Powers has in his work is what I have been searching for all my life. In writing about his personal style he encourages his readers to find their own style. I picked this book up several different times over a two week period before I finally bought it. I would love to attend a class that he teaches.
on 24 April 2015
Good prompt delivery....no complaints about the service.

Regarding the content....The technical advice and hints inside are quite useful if you're new to the subject but to a reasonably experienced painter less so. There's plenty of examples inside but not, in my opinion, of the greatest quality. The cover painting is probably the best and most vibrant of the lot. The rest are quite low key with little detail apart from facial features. I appreciate this is an accepted style and may suit some people but for me the examples are too loose and give the appearance of being unfinished. To be fair the sub-title mentions 'design approach' which had I noticed before ordering may have rung alarm bells. This may be up your street but if you want a book on figure painting this probably isn't the book for you.
on 24 April 2013
This book is not written for beginners. But if you are a beginner and serious about your art, get it on your book shelve now. As an artist and instructor I have read hundreds of art books. I learned about so many unusual techniques from this book. Alex Power writes in a clear manner whilst explaining many exciting ways to use different materials.
on 15 July 1999
I am ordering this book for a friend. I have read and reread this guide to design. Powers gives clear descriptions of design issues (eg.repetition, dominance, movement,etc) and includes a wonderful list to help you decide what is important to you (eg.,subject matter vs. design, sharp vs. blurred edges, value vs. color, etc.) You don't need to want to paint like Powers to need to read this book. It's great!
on 14 July 2015
Im finding this book full of information to build on in my own work, the book arrived quickly and i pleased with purchase
on 30 August 2015
Excellent book that arrived just as described. Great for all artists.
on 2 October 2015