Format: DVD|Change
Price:£19.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 6 October 2003
This is a very funny and highly entertaining film about the day to day lives of a group of people who establish a mining town in the time of the American gold rush. The film is excellent despite being a musical rather than because of it. To be fair, one or two of the songs are passingly good, but not being a fan of the musical film genre myself, it's everything else about this film that I like. The humour starts right at the very beginning, when one of the wagons from a party of farmers and settlers travelling west, careers down a steep hill to where the gold prospector, Ben Rumson is leading his mule. There's a shouted conversation with each word separated by a short pause to make themselves understood over the distance. Wagon train spokesman: "IS - THEY - DEAD?" Rumson: "THEY - BETTER - BE --- COS - I'M - GONNA - BURY - 'EM!" The burial is several laughs in quick succession, so it's best to take a deep breath as soon as Ben starts the prayer.
"No Name City" is established right there at the site of the grave as the funeral party spot gold glittering in the dug-over soil. There are lots of opportunities to laugh right through the film. Listen for the appalling "English" accents courtesy of Mad Jack and his friends. They're so bad they're funny. I'd like to list some of my favourite scenes, but there are so many, I'll just mention one. Look out for Ben's insane jealousy rage soon after he marries Elizabeth and the town meeting where the men have to decide what to do about it.
If you haven't watched it yet, it's time you did.
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2011
I purchased this DVD to complete my collection of all Clint Eastwood films. This collection consists of films that he has acted in, or directed and both. It may have been my last purchase in this area, but it is a case of leaving one of the best to the last. The film is much the same, namely the best is at the end.

This does not deter the enjoyment of the whole film, but just increases the expectation of the hilarious finale. Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood came together in quite different roles from their usual character portrayals. The result is excellent and makes me wonder if there is not a musical in all of us!

A definite watch for fans of Clint or Lee, Jean Seberg fits in perfectly with these two giants. A definite watch, over and over again.
on 17 November 2000
'I was born under a Wandrin Star'
Everybody knows the song that was an unlikely number one hit for Lee Marvin in 1971. But how many of you can name the musical it comes from.
Its from "Paint Your Wagon". This it probably one of the greatest ever film musicals of all time.
This is a wonderful story set in America in the days of the gold prospecters. The movie tells the story of hard-fighting, hard drinking Ben Rumson (Lee Marvin) and his quiet 'Parder' (Clint Eastwood) who prospect for gold in the wonderfully titled "No Name City". We follow their ups and downs as Ben gets married, Pardner falls in love...but of course the path of true love never quite runs smoothly.
Will they hit the gold before winter sets in?
With wonderfully staged musical numbers, brilliant character portrayal by every cast member and excellent direction, this movie version of the original stage production triumphs were so many have failed.
Believe me, when you see this film for the first time you will understand why I have seen this movie time and time again.
For a rating here I can only give this 5 stars...personaly I would give it 10 at least.
Do yourselves a favour, get a copy of this wonderful musical and hit the gold trail too!!!!!!
I can guarantee you that you will thank me!!!!!!
on 19 November 2000
You can't help but join in the songs, laugh at the content, all be it a little risque. A great way to see Clint's early singing and why he became mayor of a county similar to the one they build after 'no name city' is demolished, and why Lee Marvin is a hit. We love it.
on 16 August 2010
Lee Marvin is absolutely terrific in his role as a drunk Ben Rumson; witness the look on his face at his wedding, which to me is the scene of the film. He completely steals the acting accolades from Clint Eastwood who I suspect, secretly knows a western musical is not really his thing. Eastwood, at the time of making the film, had an affair with the leading lady in the film, Jean Seberg. But it's Lee Marvin's show for me. The songs are great as well, including the best known "Wanderin' Star" sung by Marvin.

This film would brighten up many a household simply because of the hilarity of Lee Marvin, a star indeed. Buy and enjoy.
on 26 February 2013
There can't be any other film where Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood display their singing talents. Not many musicals, apart from Calamity Jane and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, can have a secure base in the untamed west. When a bigamous trio comes into town and Jean Seberg ends up with the highest bidder, we know what we're in for. Marvin seems to be in a perpetual state of drunkenness and has to be bailed out by his 'pardner'. For plot and comedy this film is brilliant. From the opening polyglot miscellany on the musical theme, from the hilarious interment which leads to the discovery of the goldfield, from the collapse of the town in the acquisition of gold-dust, from the coachload of whores coming into town, from Harve Presnell belting out 'Maria', my attention was gripped by the way that the 'menage a trois' was developed and by the way that Marvin was able to dominate the screen in such hilarious fashion. So what if neither he nor Eastwood can really sing. I wanted to be entertained - and I certainly was.
on 31 December 2015
It was not the correct region number for the UK. As I am not an expert in these matters the region numbers mean nothing to me, therefore it would be a good idea to specify if a dvd is for your country instead of just giving a number which means nothing to me. I have spoken to my friends and family and they are of the same opinion.
on 21 August 2003
PAINT YOUR WAGON is a movie about two nineteenth century California gold prospectors in a town where there is a shortage of respectable women. This sad situation forces Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood into an awkward sharing arrangement with Jean Seberg.
The most memorable scene in the film by far is the marriage ceremony of Marvin and Seberg. A strong supporting cast includes Harve Presnell, Ray Walston and John Mitchum.
The movie was an adaptation of a Lerner-Loewe Broadway musical and it received an Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Music Score. The actors did their own singing which was surprisingly pleasant. The main competition for Oscars in 1969 came from MIDNIGHT COWBOY, TRUE GRIT and THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE.
on 21 September 2010
A classical film musical with very good performances by Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin and Jean Seberg, thoroughly enjoyable and lighthearted. Hand me down that can of beans has to be one of the best scenes in the film, hilarious!
on 28 December 2015
The DVD dose not work, I have a DVD player that plays all regions. It is a copy and a very bad one, would not recommend anyone to waste their money and would recommend Amazon not to deal with this company again.