Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Dec 2009 13:37:43 GMT
George says:
This is a write up about the PS3250 which is on the Amazon site. I'm thinking of buying one but this review has put me off. Anyone got any first hand experience of this machine?

Cheers in advance for the advice. The writeup is below.

"The bad news is the PS3 SLIM MAKES AN ANNOYING WHINING NOISE. Just Google "PS3 Slim fan noise" and you will find a lot of discussion about this. Overall, in absolute terms the slim is noticeably less noisy than the old version (i.e. produces less decibels) but for some reason the fan they use in the PS3 makes a relatively high pitched whining noise when the fan spins up (which happens in 10 minutes even if you just idle in the XMB).

Depending on your luck - some claim there are quiet ones out there - and acoustic environment, this "fan whine" has the potential to drive you crazy. The noise may be audible to the next room and over moderate levels of sound such as music/movies/games. I could hear it even when I was playing with headphones on my ears. According to Sony this is a feature, not a flaw. I sold mine after two weeks and I'm back with the 80gb "fatty" - it makes some fan noise, but it's much less distracting than the PS3 Slim's constant "dialtone like" fan sound."

Posted on 30 Dec 2009 10:15:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jan 2010 22:49:04 GMT
Keith_Joseph says:
No, to me it isn't that noisy at all [although my son's TV volume and his gaming PC whirring like a helicopter in the background give the PS3 little chance to offend]. In fact standing by the PS3 I did wonder what the faint noise was I could barely hear - it was the PS3 [in a quiet room with the TV off, the PS3 is quite audible though - but then you'd just switch it off with the cool red/Green LED button on the mirrored shiny front bit. Possibly the DVD spinning noise is louder, but the TV next to it drowns that out when playing games [our basic laptop probably makes a louder noise when pushed playing games]. I would say the PS3 is noticeably quieter that the Wii it replaced [now shoved to the front room]. The Wii can make quite a racket when it's 'DVD' is spinning, plus it visually pollutes with it's very bright LEDs when advising you of incoming [Wii-mails]. I put my noisy desktop gaming PC on 4 x 1" solid rubber balls cut in half [i.e. 2 balls at £1 each]to completely muffle the massively vibrating desk, so a resonating shelf might annoy, it will work as a loudspeaker - try something similar [we use small blobs of blue-tack underneath to stop our PS3 wobbling, but not under the feet as they come off too easily]. Perhaps we have a quiet PS3, but surely all the fans must be pretty standard. If your PS3 offends try acoustic damping/de-coupling, i.e. the latest in RDS technology [rubber door stops]. Possibly I am a bit immune to standard fan noise [as long as the fan blade isn't hitting anything] as I work all hours with noisy hi-performance PCs and such, but the PS3 seems OK to me [and it's better than having poor cooling and your XBox blowing up].

The only problem with the PS3 slim I can see is that standing on it's edge looks pretty nigh impossible, and the extras mount up [for an extra controller, HDMI cable, DVD remote, wireless headset: figure in £80-£100 for that; and you need fast 2Mb+ internet access and a £300 26" 1080 Hi-Def LCD TV + HDMI for that gorgeous PS3 resolution] - plus the fact it can't play PS2 games. Fortunately the old PS2 does happily stand on it's edge, allowing the cool black brick of the PS3 to take pride of place, but having 100+ PS2 games the lack of back-compatibility meant we originally got a Wii to 'replace' the PS2 [as my daughter already had a GameCube]. I wanted to hate the PS3 and Sony for shafting PS2 owners with hundreds of games, but now it's in the house I love it [well when my 13 year old son lets me play]. He does find Call of Duty better on the PC though, as he prefers the PC controls, but 'Little Big Planet' on the PS3 can melt the hardest of hearts [I always choose a fluffy Zebra-with-Bunny-ears character]. The sloping curved top of the PS3 is also a mild pain, it's a non-scratch finnish so you store your controllers on there and they then promptly slide off onto the floor - the flat surface of the old PS2 is more handy and functional [but less designer cool]. Plus the PS3's region locked for DVD replay - which at least saves us the bother of wasting our money on NTSC-only TV shows/films and further lining the pockets of media moguls.

If the PS3 fan whines that loudly I suspect it's a dodgey fan, or that acoustic resonance - or the PS3 has been left on in a very quiet room ....... Seems some posters are talking about noise during Blu-ray films rather than our gaming though.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2009 12:27:01 GMT
George says:
Hi Kieth,

Thanks for the reply. It's eased my mind somewhat. That was the only bad review I'd found for the new PS3.

Regards
George

Posted on 31 Dec 2009 01:05:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Dec 2009 18:27:58 GMT
Keith_Joseph says:
Asking my son just now for a second opinion, he said 'yeah it is fairly noisy'. Still any such PS3 fan foibles must be completely forgiven by him, as loves his new PS3 slim console. I asked does the PS3 noise annoy you then?: He replied: 'No because I don't listen to it'. I said some-one sent their's back because it made too much noise, and he looked surprised and said "It must have been something else in the room", i.e. the PS3 isn't actually that noisy to him either.

Posted on 1 Jan 2010 11:21:13 GMT
ShotoTiggs says:
I'd agree with that too, it does sound loud when you first switch it on but that's the only time I really notice it because there's no other noise in the room. The fan does speed up every now and again and the change in noise is noticeable for me but it only lasts a few seconds so it doesn't really register anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2010 14:16:50 GMT
George says:
Hi Tigger,

Thanks for the reply. I seems to be getting mixed responses to the question. Need to do some more research on this I think. Anyone else out there who owns the new model?

Regards

George

Posted on 4 Jan 2010 13:45:38 GMT
Hi, I just bought one two weeks ago and agree entirely with the original review. I'm going to see about replacing it and see if that helps, otherwise it will drive me mad!
It's quiet to begin with BUT after about 10 mins of playing a Blu Ray or game the incessant whining described above kicks in and doesn't go away until shutdown.
It is indeed a little like having a constant dial tone in the background and is VERY annoying!

As the machine is sold equally as a Blu Ray player, I feel this is unacceptable as the noise is so irritating!

Hopefully an exchange will be possible at GAME where I bought the unit.
Apart form the noise, it's an amazing machine but it's rather upsetting me at the moment!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2010 17:37:05 GMT
George says:
Hi Mark,
Many thanks for your reply warning of the noise problem. I may well hold off on the PS3 and go for the XBox360 instead.
Thanks

George

Posted on 5 Jan 2010 23:29:04 GMT
My new PS3 250gb machine sits right next to me on the coffee table and I cannot hear any noise whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2010 00:05:30 GMT
You're welcome George, BUT, just to make things confusing, it seems the noise levels are variable! As the next poster proves! I'm taking mine into GAME on Thurs so they can listen to it and hoping they will hear what I can hear an change it for me.
If it wasn't for the "dial tone" noise, then it would be a LOT quieter than the 360! Or at least the ones I've heard...
I'll let you know the outcome, fingers crossed!

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2010 00:50:33 GMT
George says:
Hi J.A.

There appear to be different experiences of the new PS3. Some complain of the noise and others don't. Perhaps there is a fault in some of them.

Thanks for the information though.
George

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2010 00:51:37 GMT
George says:
Good Luck! Keep me posted!
George

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2010 19:10:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2010 19:11:53 GMT
Even the loudest PS3 is still substantially quieter than an Xbox.

Most of the people having problems are because they don't have the unit adequete ventillated and thus the fans spin up quickly, or because the surface it's placed upon is amplifying any vibrations.

My Slim is what I would consider "near silent", and so are all the other slims I have seen/used. Occasionally I can hear a very faint whirr, but 90% of the time, I can't hear it at all, even in a quiet room.

What you have to understand, there are a huge number of Microsoft shills everywhere these days, uprating anything Xbox, and downrating anything PS3. It's the only way they can compete on price, when you get half the product for the same money as a PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2010 01:09:21 GMT
George says:
Hi M. Gillespie,
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. I appear to be getting mixed reports in equal numbers.
Thanks for your contribution.
Regards
George

Posted on 12 Jan 2010 08:02:44 GMT
I purchased a PS3 250gb from Amazon a week ago. The problem with the device is the pitch of the whine that is emitted after the device has been on for around 10 minutes. I bought it as a DVD to Blu-ray upgrade, with added benefit of games (already own Wii). I have already reinstalled the DVD player, as it is virtually impossible to watch a movie, even if you crank up the volume on the surround, as the whine is still audible. I would not recommend this device as a Blu-ray player

Is this an issue with the 250mb slimline model only? Are there similar issues with the 120gb model?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2010 09:16:25 GMT
George says:
Hi Peter,
Thank you for your input. Sorry to hear that you are experiencing the whine from the PS3. It would appear from the growing number of replies that there is indeed a problem with the 250 machine.

I haven't heard of any problems with any of the older machines. Thanks again for the input & I hope that you will be able to return the machine for a full refund.
Regards
George

Posted on 19 Jan 2010 22:47:00 GMT
Karl Lambley says:
I owned the 60g model, and had it pinched. AS I also own a brilliant PC, 360, and wii I wasn't that bothered about replacing it.
However now there are so many great exclusives (infamous, LBP, killzone 2,and uncharted 2) I had to buy a new PS3.

I bought a 120g slim jobbie and it is brilliant. It is loads quieter than the 60g PS3 was, and its volume level puts my noisy old 360 elite to shame.

My advice is buy one, they are very, very quiet.
Perhaps the unhappy owners need to turn their hearing aids down? ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2010 00:05:50 GMT
George says:
Hi Karl,

It was the PS3 250g that I was interested in hearing about re:noise levels.

Regards

George

Posted on 20 Jan 2010 00:26:03 GMT
Karl Lambley says:
I know chief, but it is the same machine; same fans, same ventilation holes-completely the same.

I was just being precise in detailing what my machine originally was when bought, Iam sure you are aware that a HDD has no cooling gubbins in it, and a 20g HDD is just as noisy/quiet as a 1TB HDD.

In fact my PS3 has a 500g HDD in it now, as they are so wasy to change (unlike my 360!)

I hope my obseravtions have been some use to you.

toodle-oo

karl

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2010 08:16:12 GMT
George says:
Thank you Karl!

Regards

George

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2010 09:20:35 GMT
Hi Karl.

Does it have to be a PS3 specific HDD or can you stick any internal HDD in there? Nice to know for future upgrading potential.

I'm about to buy a PS3 250Gb, and watching Blu-rays will be a significant use, so I'm following this thread with interest.

Marge

Posted on 22 Jan 2010 16:59:23 GMT
Karl Lambley says:
Any 2.5inch HDD works fine, and it is a 5 minute job.
The best part is that it doesn't affect your warrenty, can you imagine microsoft letting people do that?

At the front of the ps3 underneath on th erightis a little hatch, pul the hatch out and underneath is the screw to access the drive.

Posted on 22 Jan 2010 17:10:33 GMT
Thanks Karl.

I started wondering about the warranty situation after I posted, so you have put my mind at rest on that point. Sounds nice and simple to do.

So you reckon the fan noise won't spoil watching Blu-rays? I was thinking if it really bothered me I could always fit a glass door on the front of the TV unit, lol!

Marge

Posted on 22 Jan 2010 20:25:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jan 2010 20:44:15 GMT
Karl Lambley says:
Marge, firstlt take a look at the video on this page which shows how to change the ps3 HDD

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/21/video-another-look-at-ps3-slim-and-its-removable-hdd/

And secondly, even when there is no music/audio at all I have to struggle to hear my ps3 running, and when there is audio being played I find it impossible to hear.
In fact as I love nature programs I decided to treat myself to David Attenborough's planet earth series on blu-ray, and crikey it looks and sounds amazing, well worth the 25 pounds it cost me on amazon (and I cannot hear the ps3 whirring away as I watch it)

cheerio

karl

Posted on 23 Jan 2010 00:07:20 GMT
Karl Lambley says:
oh, another thing that may be worth mentioning is perhaps the people that find the SPS3 loud may be using their ps3 placed in a situation which means the fans have to work at full speed all the time.

If they are placed on a carpeted floor or in a tv cabinet with hardly any room around the console, the airflow from the fans can be impeded which means trhe fans have to work like mad in order to cool the machine.

My slim PS3 is on top of my TV stand thing, as opposed to down below where the dvd player, xbox 360, and wii live. The ps3 resides betwixt my 46inch plasmas "feet", so there is nothing near it to disrupt the fans airflow.
I think a lot of people who complain about the ps3's noise have their console tucked away in a television cabinet in the sort of place that a dvd player or vcr is supposed to live, so there is only a few inches of space around the console.

toodles

karl
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  29 Dec 2009
Latest post:  12 May 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sony PlayStation 3 Slim Console (250GB Model)
Sony PlayStation 3 Slim Console (250GB Model) by Sony (PlayStation 3)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (100)