Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 January 2007
This is an outstanding book for parents, teachers and therapists. It offers understanding and insight into Sensory Processing Disorders, the effect that they can have on our everyday lives and how some of those difficulties can be addressed. The text is well written and researched as well as down to earth and practical. As an experienced Paediatric Occupational Therapist I would thoroughly recommend this book.
on 3 December 2008
we have just been told My 5 year old son has Sensory Processing Disorder by a mental heath worker who told me to read this book..
from the 1st chapter the last 5 years began to make sence.
my son who was labeled as naughty at playschool , uncontrolable at school to the point that school would only have him there for 1 hour a day. other children found him a bit strange and funny . We knew something was wrong for a long time and was told maybe he had ADHD but it never seemed to fit and now we know why, this book has opened my eyes to how my son must be feeling day to day , this book made me laugh and smile reading that my sons isnt the only child that does strange things the way he eats pickeled onions, mustard and vingar hot currys and chilli the way he can suck lemons and limes without a reaction. The way he seems to spin round and round without ever getting dizzy, his relentless need to climb and hang upside down
lots of things now make sense and its thanks to this book..if your child has SPD or ADHD and ADD doesnt quite fit your child.. then this book is a must.
on 1 November 2011
My son is autistic & this book was suggested to me by his O.T. & S.A.L.T. I cannot praise it enough, it completely explains all his behavouir & ways to help him. If you have a child or work with children with sensory problems you have to reaad this book!
on 24 November 2010
Thank you for making me realise that i am not cracking up. This book could have been written about my son. it has made me understand all the things i could not explain and helped me begin to help my son live again! Thank you.
on 19 March 2010
This is a great book. Easy to read and informative,great value for money.
Helps in understanding a child's behaviour, preferences and aversions
on 15 March 2012
I bought this book after my son was diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder and it is fantastic. I now understand my son so much better and our relationship has improved as a result. This book gave me a vital insight into his life and head. Well written and easy to read.
on 31 December 2006
Not having heard about SDP (also known under other abbreviations), all I heard regarding my son was ADD, ADHD etc from experts. Even though I knew that these "didnt quite fit", I couldnt say what was wrong much less get into contact with an expert on SDP. Although Ben hasnt had a diagnosis for SDP, I now feel, thanks to this book, that I am a lot closer to understanding why he behaves as he does.
on 6 March 2016
Good as a starting point to explaining spd, but exploring retained primitive reflexes was far more effective for us than sensory diets. It's the difference between taking a painkiller for a headache every time you get one and finding out what causes the headache and eliminating it - the latter being retained reflex integration.
This was my first buy on the subject, and was handy to read, but I have never referred back to it since we have seen so much improvement through retained reflex therapy.
on 4 December 2012
lots of light bulb moments reading this. really inspiring for use with my daughter who has sensory processing difficulties, definately reccommend it to anyone needing info on this
on 5 January 2011
I have 2 sons diagnosed with autism. This book has been very helpful with understanding some of their behaviours. It is easy to read and I would recommend it to anyone who has an autistic child.