Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 May 2005
I cannot recommend this book enough, I personally think it's the BEST that I've found about World War One poetry. It guides you through different stages of emotions through the war, with separate poet sections with their poems in chronological order so you can see the progression in their works. It also has quite a few war images, including a great pacifist propaganda cartoon! I'm currently studying A Level English Literature & my teacher has actually used this book for reference. What else can I say, I think it's fantastic and is going to help my studies so much, so buy it!
on 21 June 2008
I bought this book to help me study for A level English Lit - it contains a great selection of poems for unit 6, together with interesting contextual notes. I would certainly recommend it for anyone else doing A level.
on 4 June 2009
Well edited poetry anthology, based on `Minds at War, and written by same author. As a GCSE and A-level English teacher I found this to be an excellent teaching aid and supplement to the poetry anthology that GCSE students are issued with. Whether writing as war propagandists - wittingly or no - or protesting against the futility and horror of the trenches; the poets whose works are contained in this book are the most important of their, or any age.

Not comprehensive, but extremely thorough and certainly ample for GCSE students, this collection was compiled with the assistance of the major UK exam boards and is consequently an invaluable tool for all students.
on 25 November 2012
I loved this book. I have bought many books from Amazon and never left a review. But this book was so good. I bought it for my son who had an English topic on World War One. This book was really for much older children. But it was easy to read in sections covering different poets but also covering the history of the Great War. It was useful for the history of ww1. I loved the section on how writers were used for propaganda here and in the US. I also felt the journey that many of these poets and writers travelled before, during and after the war. It also covered life back home and the role of women. This would be great if you need a book to help you with A levels or degree level, but it can still be enjoyed at a lower level or like me for general interest. As for a useful book for my 11 year old son, I must confess he didn't really look at it. But he doesn't really look at any books.
on 29 August 2014
An excellent book , very useful in preparing a church service .There are chapters for different sections of the war with background notes and poems from that period, 7 poets get their own chapter, with poems, context and biographical details. And there are 2 chapters dedicated to women's poetry. There are some maps and photographs. The editor also edits a war poetry site .
on 22 October 2015
Easy to use poetry book with lots of useful annotation. My daughter used it for a comparison of World War II poets. Very comprehensive.
on 28 November 2014
Tremendous, sets the context, great commentary and wonderful poems
on 6 November 2014
You can hear the sounds, smell the fear and feel their pain......
on 2 October 2014
As advertised and expected. Prompt delivery.
on 3 April 2016