Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Fire Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 14 October 2001
I really enjoyed The Other Side of Truth because it was a seat-gripping nail-biting story. It has a sad beginning but don't let it stop you reading the book. Two children called Sade and Femi have to leave Nigeria and come to London by themselves and they face many problems. I think this is a great book for anybody over the age of 9 years to read - my Mum really enjoyed it too.
on 3 October 2000
A moving account of separation and political asylum told through the eyes of Sade and her brother Femi who as a result of their mother's untimely death must depart for London - alone. The text deals well with real issues (fear, loss, politcal trouble, asylum and racism) in a heart-warming and approachable manner. Naidoo traces the childrens journey in a well-documented fashion. Her novel speaks out on many levels, but above all she highlights the very notion that if "you keep quiet about the truth, injustice always wins". The novel becomes a clever blend of fact and fiction. I highly recommend this book to readers of all ages, since it is both fascinating, gripping and educational.
on 30 January 2011
This is the first Young Adult book I've read since being a child myself and I admit that I'd forgotten just how powerful those stories can be.

This was a very well written tale of oppression told from the point of view of a 12 year old girl. I found it to be an authentic voice and that, along with the engaging plot made this an easy read. The messages of tolerance were the most powerful images for me - it's good to step into someone else's shoes sometimes to get a broader view of the world and I can see that the target audience for this book will have their minds opened.

I would have liked to have known more about life in Nigeria, the daily rhythms as well as the political situation, but I liked how the author drew parallels between bullying in british schools and political repression in opressed countries. As our schools become more and more multi-cultural the younger generation is going to put us to shame in terms of their empathy and understanding of the wider world around us.

This was, for me, a very enjoyable book with a solid purpose.
on 7 February 2001
This is a brilliant book, and I would reccomend anyone to read it. It is a gripping story, about refugees, and the danger of walking the London streets at night. This book takes you through the guilt trip after stealing, the meaning of friendship and the price of telling the truth. A perfect example of showing how one lie can lead to another. This book is very well written and I anticipate her next book. Even if you prefer famous novels, I advise you to read about this, it will change your veiw on lying and make you thankful we live in a democracy.
on 8 April 2015
I probably would not have chosen this book but I had to read it as part of my course. I loved it. I found it very interesting and thought provoking to view this topic from another viewpoint.
I liked the characters and having spent most of my life working with children I found them realistic.
on 19 April 2015
I couldn't put this book down. It reaches out to the reader, and I kept turning the pages to see what was going to happen next. It was great to read from the perspective of the children, as someone who works with EAL and vulnerable youngsters, and has given me an insight into their lives outside of being deposited at a new school in a strange country. It was interesting to know the background the children have escaped from. This should be on the school curriculum to educate children who share a class with students from different cultures to increase empathy and acceptance.
on 5 December 2012
I recommended this book to my daughter, having read good reviews on Amazon. I decided to read it first as she was finishing another book. It is a very well written book. It should appeal to everyone and I found the fact that the author was giving nicknames to some of the characters quite fun. It really feels like a child talking. It is also a great read for adults as this gives an opportunity to learn more about Nigeria and the fight for the freedom of the press.
on 6 December 2015
I had to read this book for part of a university degree I was studying and I think it was one of the most thought provoking books I have ever read. Told in simple heart rendering way the story of Sade and Femi is powerful and touching. It's aimed at the young adult audience (teen). My 12 year old son is now reading and enjoying the book. Would recommend for both adults and children (over 11).
on 13 August 2015
A moving story and brilliantly written. This is a story that everyone should read and be in every school library. Naidoo's story, based on some true events, show how life can be for those not born in England and the reality of being a refugee. I was gripped by this tale of survival and family trauma. This is a book I will refer to when writing one of my own future books.
W.M.Aslam
on 17 November 2013
I loved the book! There was always something to look forward after each chapter. This book talks about things that are happening within our world, migrants refugees etc . It taught me a couple of lessons, and overall had a great message and moral. I would absolutely recommend this book for children from the ages 12 and above! An absolutely moving story!