Size: Small/Medium|Colour: Charcoal|Change

on 21 December 2014
Somehow it feels wrong to be so enthusiastic about an inanimate object. It is, after all, only a bag.

What has enchanted me though, are the possibilities this backpack gives me. I travel by plane around once or twice a month, these trips are either business related, weekend getaways or a vacation to distant skies when time and budget permits.

After dealing with lost or mishandled luggage one time to many, I've sworn off checking in luggage when I fly - especially as airlines have the gall to charge increasingly large amounts for the privilege. But that means optimising your luggage to the strict cabin requirements. And the Farpoint lets you do just that.

With a low weight of 1,3 kgs it lets me bring more than my Delsey trolley that weighs about 2 kilos more. I get to pack so much more as the weight allowance usually are slim. The bag itself is easy to pack and arrange, as it opens up all the way along the sides. There is just the right amount of straps to keep things both tight and secure without any superfluous strappage.

The size (L) fits my 180cm frame perfectly and distributes weight well enough to allow for some hiking with it. If you carry a heavy laptop the weight is going to be away from your back which isn't optimal though, but the benefit is that it's much easier to get your laptop/tablet in and out through security.

Is it perfect? Almost. The product looks charcoal black on the pictures here, but it rather is a dark grey with a greenish tinge. It gives it a slight military vibe that I'm not that fond of. The shoulder strap could also do with a bit more padding.

All in all, it is the perfect bag for me, as it allows me to comfortably bring as much as possible with me when travelling - and I'll never have to deal with either lost luggage or overpriced checked luggage again. This bag simply makes me want to travel more - how can you not love that?
on 18 February 2014
Had this for 8 Months traveling SE Asia. Don't get anything bigger than this, yo won't need it. ESP walking around in 40d heat.
Still in good condition now I'm back. Will last me for years.
An open bag like this is better than a standard rucksack that opens from the top.
get these eBags 'Small Packing Cubes - 3pc Set (Black)' to keep it organised. 3 fit perfect in here.
55 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2014
Very well made, excellent protection for laptop. I also have the larger HP and it fits fine. Front key and credit card pocket is useful but also hidden slightly. The main "back pack" straps are covered up if not required and there is a single shoulder strap , I use this this all the time. Plenty of space too.
on 1 March 2013
It gives my friends backpack-envy.
I take it to rowing training and it easily holds two full changes of kit (A LOT OF KIT), plus towel, shower stuff and normal clothes and shoes for after. The fact that it has a zip that opens it out like a suitcase allows for much easier stuffing in of seemingly endless
Also use it for carting stuff around uni and never feel worried about over-filling it or straining the zip.
The bag is fantastically sturdy and well constructed, and comfy to carry around. When it arrives you may feel it's bigger than you expected it to be, but you will soon embrace it when you realise it's able to carry around everything you could possibly need in a day for two training sessions plus uni/work.
Think it would be great for backpacking too (if you're willing to travel light)
Overall, a great purchase that I have been very pleased with. Worth the money as I'm sure it's going to last me a good few years of intense use!
on 4 August 2015
This was bought mostly to act as a case for several cameras and lenses on long holidays, so also carrying other items such as documentation in folders, leads, computer, phone. I didn't want a dedicated camera bag as that is inflexible for other items. Several £000-worth of equipment and all the flight tickets etc. are not the sort of thing you want to leave in a car so it had to be robust enough, with good belt/chest strap/adjustable shoulder straps, to carry on long walks. It also needed to be able to be taken on the plane.
I was getting a bit sick of having to dive down into the depths of a 'normal' rucksack to find things - especially as 'normal' rucksacks are not so good with document folders. So the way that it opens fully like a suitcase is ideal. There are lots of different pockets.

There are also two back sizes - which is helpful for me, having a short back.

This pack fulfills all my needs admirably - 2 cameras in their own shoulder cases, 3 lenses up to 20cm in their own case or attached to a camera, computer, all necessary leads/card readers/chargers etc etc, all documentation, all go in well. (No, I don't have huge lenses as they are not practical for me for active holidays.)
So, an excellent choice for my needs.

The only niggle is the lack of integral rain cover. There is a pocket for one underneath but no cover itself. I suppose Osprey want you to buy one of theirs at about a third of the cost of the backpack itself. Sorry, Osprey, a cheapo version is doing the job just as well! (but just detracts from what should be a perfect pack.)
on 24 March 2013
Useful size 40L
well made zips lockable and easy pull
strong and light materials
Comfortable to wear
Not sure about the S/M or M/L size rating - both look same to me maybe it is to do with shape or length of back support ?

Overall very pleased with this and used several times on Easyjet without being checked for size (checked it myself anyway when oacked and fits OK)
on 8 January 2015
I am travelling around Asia with it at the moment. It has met my needs very well. If one knows how to pack properly he or she should find no problem with it.
on 22 July 2015
This bag is perfect. I wanted something that I can use as a weekend bag and also a daily bag when I needed and it can do both of these things. I love the colour it's more like a charcoal grey and it's awesome. Build quality looks solid as expected from an Osprey. It also has a shoulder strap to which I suspect will come in handy. Lovely all around.
on 11 August 2015
Highly recommend. This bag has already joined me for several domestic trips and a few short-haul flights as cabin luggage. It's very spacious and easy to organise one's belongings with multiple sections.
- The zips also open all of the way around the edge of the bag, making access to clothes etc easy.
- The small pocket at the very top is handy for quick-access items (e.g. I put all of my liquids in there when flying so that I can quickly get them out at security).
- The laptop compartment is well cushioned.
- The compression straps do a good job of, well, compressing everything to make the bag nice and compact.
- There are internal buckled straps for holding everything in place.
- One of my favourite features is the straps on the bag, which neatly zip away into the main bag in their own little section. The bag is therefore just as happy as a holdall or a rucksack (there are also hip straps to help distribute the weight). It also comes with a long strap so that it can be carried on your shoulder but I haven't done this.
on 17 August 2015
Great bag, ticks all the boxes for me as as described. I had only previously tried on the M/L size in a store and ordered the S/M as I'm only 5ft3. It fit perfectly and is way bigger internally than it looks when worn. Can't wait to take it away :)