Customer Discussions > Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360) forum

Original squad mates given cameos - does it affect your enthusiasm?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Jan 2010 13:38:01 GMT
Prior says:
I was curious, does the fact that the majority of the original squad mates have been given cameo appearances and replaced by the likes of Subject Zero affect your enthusiasm for the Mass Effect 2?

Posted on 21 Jan 2010 13:59:47 GMT
yes!
i don't want a new krogan in my squad - i want wrex!
apparently garrus and tali can both join you this time though
the rest just make cameos

Posted on 21 Jan 2010 14:23:07 GMT
Prior says:
I like Tali and Garrus well enough but Wrex and Liara were my favourites. To have them replaced by characters like Subject Zero and Grunt is very off putting. Really, what were Bioware thinking! I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to play ME2. I have the feeling it's not going to have anything close to the appeal of the first game.

On a positive note the spoilers from our stateside friends about the exact nature of Liara and Wrex's cameo will make the decision for me. Good thing they get it 3 days before we do.

Posted on 21 Jan 2010 15:24:58 GMT
at least the other characters are new species etc
whats the point in ditching a krogan to replace him with another krogan?!
sure it will work out though
i have faith in bioware

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2010 15:35:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2010 15:36:38 GMT
Prior says:
After their ridiculous marketing campaign and the mediocre downloadable content, I don't I'm afraid. They're beginning to have the appearance of a company trading on past glories.

Posted on 21 Jan 2010 15:45:31 GMT
i'm confident you bioware will prove you wrong
have you seen the reviews?
apparently the overall story isn't as strong as the first one, but everything else is better!
though i do agree the downloadable content for mass effect was absolute crap, the game was amazing.
and there's going to be a lot more downloadable content which will be more expansive and some will be available from release day
so they are making all the right moves
hope they can deliver

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2010 15:59:54 GMT
Prior says:
The story and the squadmates were the two main reasons why I enjoyed Mass Effect so much. A weaker story in ME2 doesn't encourage me to buy. Giving my favourite characters cameos and replacing them with characters that I really dislike given what I've seen of them so far does not encourage me to buy. The idea of working with Cerberus for the entire game does not encourage me to buy. Put all those things together and you pretty much kill any thought in my head that says 'give it a chance, it might not be as awful as it sounds'.

The only thing still keeping me on that fence is my adoration of the original game, and even that is wearing thin as more information is released about ME2.

Posted on 21 Jan 2010 16:22:49 GMT
i see what you're saying.
those things are really annoying me.
as are the fact it's a different normandy and you're a rebuilt shepherd
you'd defo regret not giving it a go though!
no one's saying it's a bad story! mass effect had one of the best most original and engrossing stories i've seen in games or movies - bioware set the bar extrememly high so there is no shame in mass effect remaining the crowning achievement from a story telling point of view (same with most film/game series - original is always best).
i'm sure the story will be awesome.
ok it sucks the characters we loved are taking diminished roles, but they are still there and the new characters could be cool
and at least bioware are being bold. could have easily just had the reapers back and just had a complete sequal to the first game. new characters. new story. new locations. improved graphics. more dlc. new ground vehicle to improve the exploration etc.
and on top of all that you've got the carry over from the old game and how your decisions are gonna impact in this game. and the fact that shepherd can die in the finale and that too will carry over into 3!
don't give up now!
get the game
add me on live (Phillip J Fry 1) and we will gush over how amazing the game is when we are playing it and neglecting our lives next week!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2010 22:32:33 GMT
Prior says:
Well, I may not be playing it next week. Depends on the spoilers regarding how much of a role Liara and Wrex have. If Wrex and Liara had been squadmates I would have definitely played ME2 in spite of all the things I really don't like the sound of, including the cyborg Shepard thing. If the cameos are small or meaningless then it's a no buy for me. I'm stubborn like that! Besides I won't type spoilers here but some people have already gotten their copy of the game in the US and the spoilers I've heard so far confirm my worst fears.

If by some miracle something changes between now and Friday I'll add you to live and we can compare notes.

Posted on 22 Jan 2010 09:38:11 GMT
yeah i know about wrex's involvement and i don't think it will please you
not sure of liara or the others
though i'm pretty sure jokers back if that means anything....na i don't care either!
that's enough seth green!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2010 16:59:53 GMT
Personally I don't think Wrex Cameo is pointless, if you know what it is (I wont put spoilers here) it makes sense to his overall character and storyline. Liara isn't a fully back seat character either, especially if you had a romance with her in ME. Plus where is this you heard about Sheppard being a cyborg? None of the infomation I have come across points at that, yes he does get killed, yes Cerberus bring him back to life, but with use of The Lazarus project, none of which is related to cyborgs and personally I think it was needed to kill off sheppard and re-start him as otherwise how would they explain the loss of skills and levels from ME to Me2?

All in all we are get some great new characters, Mordin a Salarian scientist on speed who doesn't breath between words, Thane a Drell Assassin with a heart almost of gold who has an inner turmoil, Miranda a woman created to be perfect but no one see's her personalities and her emotions, some one used an abused, hell you get Legion! An evolved Geth who is obsessed with Sheppard! Jacob who we know little about really other than that he works for Cerberus but doesn't like everything they do, Subject Zero is also an amazing character we have only seen a small part of her, this bad ass side she wants to portray but apparently the more you get to know her, the more you will see her vulnerable side and yes Grunt is probably the weakest character but hell Biowares weak characters are above some of the best characters in other games

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2010 10:21:58 GMT
C. Lister says:
I love Mass Effect, but I would hardly call it original story wise it's a rip- off from Babylon 5. Not saying that's a bad thing, but lets not kid ourselves it borrowed a lot from that show. As a fan of BioWare I don't think I've ever seen a story they did that was totally original.

To answer the OP question. Yes and no. Yes I'd like to have Williams in my team again and to carry on the romance that my character had with her. Plus she was great in my party, but would it affect me buying this game? No not at all I love Mass Effect and as long as Shepard is the main character, then I would still buy it.

I just hope we get a proper universe to explore this time no going to worlds that are totally barren because I found that boring imo and for me that was the only thing that spoilt Mass Effect. I would like loads of DLC too good stuff as well not just some junk.

I wish Friday would hurry up lol.

Posted on 25 Jan 2010 09:11:02 GMT
Prior says:
Enough of the story has been spoiled by now to know pretty much what we're getting and from what I've seen and heard it's a sequel in name only. Even the xbox mag and Now gamer said the story was contrived to side step any major decision you made in ME1. Decisions matter? Actually in ME2 they clearly don't.

Posted on 25 Jan 2010 09:28:01 GMT
even if the decisions don't have as big an impact as hoped, it's still a pretty cool and original idea and i'm sure they'll improve on it in the final game.
credit to them for at least trying new things.
i'm sure it's going to be amazing

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2010 15:29:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jan 2010 15:31:08 GMT
Prior says:
You're right, better to try and fail than not try at all. My problem is that as recently as August Bioware was still talking but how important the decisions from ME1 were. The project director listed the three top decisions that affect ME2 as who survived Virmire, your choice of love interest and whether or not you saved the council. Now that the story has been leaked all over the internet it's very obvious that those comments simply were not true.

ME2 may or may not be a good game, but it is not the continuing story of the events in ME1, it is not part of a trilogy, it is a stand alone game where the references to ME1 were described by Bioware themselves as 'little treats'. Nothing more.

As for the final game, I think Bioware will find few willing to listen to their marketing speak after this, and some unwillinging to waste money on ME3.

Posted on 25 Jan 2010 15:54:07 GMT
i'm sorry but that last comment is ridiculous
how can you possibly predict the reception of a game that's years away?!
particulalry when you have no basis for it! i've yet to see i bad review for mass effect 2. of course it's not without flaws, but overall every review has been overwhelmingly positive and i'm sure millions of people around the world will be buying
if what you say about the impact of the decisions from the first game is true, then i will also be disappointed. but i haven't ruined the game for myself by going looking for spoilers to complain about! just wait and play it!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2010 16:51:42 GMT
Prior says:
Don't be sorry. Clearly you are someone who doesn't like spoilers. That's your right and your privilege. Personally, I have no problem with spoilers. I like a little heads up before I play a game. A game is only ruined if the spoilers are unpleasant. Usually they heighten anticipation, usually.

Needless to say I can't predict the reception of a game that is two years away, what I can tell you is that they're are people who don't enjoy feeling that they have been mislead and that has already resulted in bad feeling in several discussion groups around the internet.

Posted on 26 Jan 2010 09:21:11 GMT
has anyone actually played through the entire game to the point where they can say for definite the effect previous decisions do or don't have?
and how big were people expecting the consequences of decisions to be!
decisions carry over from mass effect 1 and will have an impact on various parts of the game and what kind of reaction you get in certain quarters
what more were people expecting?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2010 12:42:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jan 2010 12:46:22 GMT
Prior says:
Yes tons of people have played through the entire game. They have been streaming it online as they play for days. Paragon Sheps with no love interest. Paragon Sheps with Liara as a love interest, Renegade Sheps who take up with some of the new characters. You name it, it's been steamed by somebody. ME2 side steps any previous decisions that could have / shoud have packed a punch.

As for what people were expecting, well I can't speak for everyone, personally I was just expecting a continuing story. Is that so outrageous? From all reports and from what I've seen steamed it's not. It's a sequel in name only.

Don't misunderstand me, I want to love this game but from what I've seen Bioware have made that very, very difficult. They seem to have designed this game for adolescent boys who have recently discovered girls. I don't fall into that demographic.

Posted on 26 Jan 2010 13:23:07 GMT
me either
i dono
i would just reccommend playing it
everyone's obviously looking for different things and will play through differently so i suppose there will be loads of different opinions
i'm totally disappointed by some of the things that they have changed/omitted.
but then, would another geth/reaver story have been exciting enough anyway. it wouldn't top the first so i like that they have changed it and hopefully it works out and the things people wanted that aren't there are compensated for by new elements.

Posted on 26 Jan 2010 14:16:08 GMT
I'm just gunna post my two cents here as I keep seeing the phrase "sequel in name only" and its starting to annoy me. The Mass Effect story is a trilogy, a 3 part story, Mass Effect 2 is the middle part of that story and often the middle will not have big plot lines that disclose all the infomation you want, thats often left to the final part, when you have something like a trilogy in a series of books, often the middle is there to help fill in some details and help open up new plotlines that connect to the orginal but you often won't see or know this until the next book and I think this is the way you have to look at ME2, ok you don't like some of the stuff you are seeing/hearing about I can understand that and maybe it is true that bioware have side stepped the decistions you made but they kinda had to, otherwise they would end up releasing about 10 different versions of ME2 to suit everyones individual story and that is just not plausabile so they have hand picked certain decistions that will have an effect, maybe not as great a one as you were hoping but it is still an effect.

And the more I read of these complaints of new characters, new enemies and a plot line I don't like, the more I think "If you don't like it, go play the orginal and don't play the 2nd and be happy" or think that all you wanted was the same story as the first, another fight to stop a Reaper in our galaxy whilst we fight the geth again with the same squad from before. Just be happy they have made a sequel and understand that this is the middle part of the story.

Posted on 26 Jan 2010 16:12:24 GMT
Im amazed at the lack of research done here - its clearly been stated you're on a suicide mission - why take people you actually want to live such as ur Mass Effect 1 love interest. There is a second problem to deal with - in many saves at least one but possibly two of your former squadmates are dead. To spend all the time it takes to write proper plot lines for them, conversations, quests for characters that half of people may never see is a waste of Biowares resources - the cameo is a way of getting them back. In the case of a love interest I have heard you even keep in contact via email and SPOILER Ashley is in one mission and gets captured by the Collectors in one video END SPOILERS.

And give the new characters a try - they might seem bad on the surface but they will probably have hidden depths and redeeming features to discover as you try to make them loyal to the cause - one of the major themes of the game according to Bioware.

I dont think a game can be judged until YOU have played it - if you loved the orginal so much then what harm is it?

Posted on 26 Jan 2010 16:23:04 GMT
Prior says:
The only comment I have Gareth is that by calling Mass Effect a trilogy Bioware created certain expectations. A trilogy usually means that the storyline of part two continues/develops the storyline of part 1. Then the storyline of part 3 picks up the threads from part two and brings the story to its conclusion.

From what I've seen that is not the case which is why you are seeing so many people use the phrase "sequel in name only". I'm sorry if you find it annoying, but that's why you're seeing it mentioned time and time again.

I don't believe anyone wants Mass Effect 2 to be a mirror image of ME1. Change is good usually. There were flaws in ME1 that needed to be addressed as we all know but in some respects Bioware seems to have thrown the baby out with the bath water and in some respects replaced class with crass.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2010 16:32:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jan 2010 16:34:55 GMT
Prior says:
Mr Wright, I've seen the stream of Ashley's role in ME2 I don't want to give spoilers to offend those who prefer to avoid them, but from what I've seen on several streamed variations of the scene she was not 'in on the mission'. She was there on the planet available for one conversation plus as you say a follow up email. Period.

Also as for the story reasons why your original squad mates can't accompany you, both Now Gamer and the official XBox magazine found them to be 'contrived'. Their words, not mine.

However I appreciate what you're saying about the logistics of incorporating the original squadmates into ME2 but surely that's something Bioware should have considered when planning their trilogy.

It also seems to suggest how the ME2 squadmates will fare in ME3 when the logistics will be even more complex. That's assuming of course Bioware don't simply create another stand alone story.

Posted on 27 Jan 2010 09:22:42 GMT
why does the fact it's a trilogy mean the story has to follow on?!
surely then it would become less of a trilogy and more 3 parts of the same game which would be boring
most movie trilogies don't follow the pattern you are looking for.
spider-man films for example. obviously spider-man as the main character is present in all (like shepherd) as is his love interest (like ashley). but the stories, enemies and some of the supporting characters were different in every film.
would you call this any less of a trilogy though? and even though the main story arc from each film was unrelated, the character work and sub plots from one to three formed a continous arc.
i agree with what bioware are doing and had little interest in the reapers again.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xab5bce40)

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  21 Jan 2010
Latest post:  28 Jan 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)
Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360) by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (272)