I've been gardening for many years and recently started researching organic gardening techniques so I can switch over from using chemical based fertilizers and pest control agents. That's why I got this book, which I found when searching for an Organic Composting Guide
Here is my review of it...
- There are several good ideas for controlling pests in the garden without resorting to chemical sprays. Probably nothing that I couldn't have found on my own by using Google for a couple hours, but it's nice to have it all in one place without me having to search for it. Besides, you can find all the information you need on almost any topic if you search long enough for it. It's just a matter of how much your time is worth to you.
- It's a quick easy read. I read the entire thing from start to finish in under 10 minutes. However I am a fairly quick reader.
- No pictures. There are many different pests mentioned along with specific things you can do to kill or deter them, but absolutely no pictures or other means of identifying those pests. This book seems to have been written assuming that you already know what type of pest you're facing. I've been gardening for years so it's not such a big problem for me to recognize the pests when I see them, but if you're new to gardening or unfamiliar with the different types of pests in your area this could be a problem in some cases. This isn't necessarily true for all pests, I mean everybody knows what an ant looks like, but you get my point.
- Poor spelling and grammar. Now to be fair this might just be a personal issue I have, and you might not care, but there are numerous examples of misspelled words and bad grammar throughout the book. Obviously it makes no difference as far as the value of the information it contains, but to me poor grammar and spelling mistakes make a book harder to read and I find myself concentrating more on the mistakes than the content of the book. Like I said though, this could very well just be a personal issue I have. Maybe you don't care.
- Good info on specific methods to control or kill many common garden pests without using harsh chemicals. Again, you could probably find all the same information by searching online for a few hours, but to me it was worth the time it saved to have it all in one place.
- Needs editing and proofreading. There are many spelling and grammatical errors throughout the book.
- Needs pictures. If you already know what pests you're facing then this is fine. If you're looking to identify that strange bug crawling over and eating your plants you'll need to look elsewhere first, then come back to this book.
I gave this book 3 stars because of the issues I listed above. If those were all fixed I would judge it as being worthy of 4.5 stars (if I could give a partial star in the rating).
One other thing to mention is that I got this book on a free promotion, so it didn't cost me anything to read. Having said that I still wouldn't have minded paying something in the $3 range to buy it just because of the time it saved me from finding all the information online myself.
Of course, these are all just my opinions. Yours may differ.