on 8 July 2007
Our son got this game for is 4th birthday and he has loved playing it ever since, with increasing level of counting/maths. No one maths game is going to interest a child from early counting to more advanced additon and subtraction. But the beauty of this game is that you can adapt the rules to the level of the children involved. We started using it for basic counting, and now one year later, it really helps with addition and subtraction. And I expect it will retain interest and educational value for some time to come.
R
on 5 November 2010
I have to disagree with the negative reviews. Both my daughters (one of whom is profoundly gifted) enjoyed playing this game. The beauty of this is that - yes, the initial rules are simple, but you can vary it to meet your child's needs and interests. I consider this sort of flexibility in a toy, game or book to be a great strength. So many modern toys are designed to do one thing and one thing only, with no room to stretch or adapt.
- Is your bus full? Bring along a second bus! My children see this happen in real life, and use it as part of the 'story' of the game.
- Is your bus empty? Roll the dice again!
- We also make up stories about who is getting on the bus and how it relates to the pictures on the board.
- You can use the top deckand the bottom deck for additional maths.
Good games, good books, good toys, encourage imagination and initiative. That's up to you.
on 6 February 2009
My 4 year old son was bought this for his birthday. It is a brightly coloured game and looks attractive. It also states that it "helps with adding and subtracting". However that's a bit of an overstatement.

The basic premise is that you start off with a bus with 10 empty seats, the idea being to fill as many as possible by the end. There are 2 dice, 1 tells you how many spaces to move and the other tells you how many people to add/remove. Each space has either a "+" or a "-" on it. In reality most of the time the bus is either completely empty or completely full for most of the journey - we spend most of our time saying "well I'm supposed to take 2 away but it's empty so I can't" or "I'm supposed to add 6 but it's full so I can't". The buses finish at different times so the end result isn't particularly exciting either.

My son can't be the only 4 year old who finds the idea of counting between 1 and 6 people ridiculously simple. However he does rather like the game because he has his "favourite passengers" about whom he makes up stories. My 5 year old daughter will tolerate playing it once or twice. Older than that I can't imagine it having any value at all.

I have always been a fan of Orchard Toys but there are more fun and more educational options than this one. For more fun I would recommend "Party party party" (advertised for 5-9 but I would say 3-7) and for more educational value I would recommend "Piggy in the middle" (advertised for 5-10 which is probably fair).
44 comments|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2010
This is an excellent game. My 4 year old really loves it. Basically you have to count people on and off your bus and make it all the way around the board. Just for a change it isn't the first to reach the finish that wins but the one with the most people on their bus. Because it holds his interest until the very end he is not too upset if he doesn't win.

It's great to help with his counting and number recognition on the dice. You have to use two dice so he loves that too and he has the rules better than anyone else so he is great at telling everyone what it is they need to do.

In fact it was so good that on playing with his grandparents they immediately went and bought it to take to their other grandchildren at a visit the following week!

Highly Recommended
on 6 July 2009
Bought for the 4 yr old but this game went down well with her little brother as well. Already been played many times
on 10 January 2010
This is a simple games that gets them to plus and minus without your child realising that they are doing maths. It was bought for my 6yr old but with a bit of help my 2.5yr old can also play. Orchard games are the best on the market in my opinion and I would not hesitate buying any game.
on 25 November 2010
I bought this for my daughter as she loves buses. It is nicely presented and introduced her to the plus and minus signs, and helped her learn what they mean - much better than learning from a book or TV as it is a physical representation, it makes it real. The box says age 4+ but it wasn't too difficult for my 3 year old, I think the earlier you introduce maths in fun ways, the better!
on 10 November 2012
We have an 11 year old version of this game which my 5 year old is currently crazy about.
This is one of a number of orchard games we bought when our 15 year old was in preschool. All are still in excellent condition despite often heavy use by our 3 sons at different times.
What my youngest likes most about this game is choosing the passengers to get on/off the bus. I suppose it really puts them in the driving seat!
on 13 August 2011
My son was given this game for his 3rd birthday and he really likes it. Each player has a bus counter which travels round the board picking up and dropping off passengers. It is good counting practice and it has helped my son grasp the concept of adding and taking-away. Good fun for pre-schoolers.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 January 2016
This is another fun game from Orchard Toys whose games are always intelligent and colourful. Personally I didn't enjoy it as much as Dinosaur Race or Go Go Dragons but that's only a personal view.

Our three year old grandson loves it. The game works with two dice. One moves a bus around the playboard whilst the other decides the number of passengers either getting on or off the bus. The idea is to get your bus to the garage with as many passengers on board as possible. The winner is the bus with the most on when everyone is back in the garage. So it's not a first past the post game. You could finish first but then have to wait for other players to finish. That way it keeps the fun and tension going to the last throw of the dice.

This is suitable for any children over about the age of three and helps them with both co-ordination and counting skills.