From the Back Cover
Implement Expert Administrative Solutions
Keep your mission-critical Internet and e-business systems flexible, secure, and available by using the exclusive information contained in this Oracle-authorized volume. Oracle9i DBA Handbook explains how to set up and maintain a high-performance database and maximize the all-new, powerful features of Oracle9i. Oracle insiders Kevin Loney and Marlene Theriault cover all the bases and provide real-world examples and techniques. A must-have resource for Oracle DBAs.
- Create and manage databases, using the Oracle9i Database Configuration Assistant
- Monitor and tune file usage, transactions, queries, and memory
- Implement rollback segments and system-managed undo
- Handle application migration and online table evolution
- Diagnose and optimize system performance with STATSPACK
- Implement state-of-the-art auditing and security procedures
- Automate backup and recovery operations, using RMAN
- Implement partitions to manage VLDBs
- Distribute computing power and share data across servers, using Oracle Net
- Use Oracle9iAS services to improve flexibility, scalability, and availability
About the Author
Kevin Loney (Wilmington, DE) is a veteran Oracle developer and DBA. He is the author of the best-selling Oracle8 DBA Handbook and co-author of Advanced Tuning and Administration and Oracle8i: The Complete Reference. He frequently makes presentations at Oracle conferences and contributes to Oracle Magazine.
Marlene Theriault has been an Oracle DBA for over 17 ears and has worked with Oracle products since version 2.0 of the Oracle RDBMS. She has been published in magazines and conference proceedings throughout the world. Ms. Theriault received the "Best User Presentation" award at EOUG 1999, "Outstanding Speaker" at EDO'98, and the "Distinguished Speaker" award for presentations at both ECO'95 and ECO'96. She coauthored Oracle Security with William Heney (O'Reilly and Associates, 1998); The Oracle8i DBA Handbook with Kevin Loney (Oracle Press, 2000); and Oracle DBA 101 with Rachel Carmichael and James Viscusi (Oracle Press, 2000). She is chair of the MAOP DBA SIG and authors an "Ask The DBA" column for the MAOP newsletter. Ms. Theriault is an avid recreational walker (Volksmarching) and has done at least one 6-mile walk in each of the 50 United States. Marlene can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.