Oracle SQL Tuning with SQLTXPLAIN is a practical guide to SQL tuning the way Oracle's own experts do it, using a freely downloadable tool called SQLTXPLAIN. Using this simple tool you'll learn how to tune even the most complex SQL, and you'll learn to do it quickly, without the huge learning curve usually associated with tuning as a whole.
Firmly based in real world problems, this book helps you reclaim system resources and avoid the most common bottleneck in overall performance, badly tuned SQL. You'll learn how the optimizer works, how to take advantage of its latest features, and when it's better to turn them off.
- Quickly tune any SQL statement no matter how complex.
- Build and tune test cases without affecting production.
- Use the latest tuning features with confidence.
What youll learn
- How and why complex SQL goes wrong
- When statistics are crucial and when they are not
- How and when the tuning facilities of the database can help or hinder
- When to tune and when not to tune
- Which steps in an execution plan are crucial to performance
- How the optimizer works out the execution plan