From the Back Cover
“The book...has enough depth for even a seasoned professional to pick up enough tips to pay back the price of the book
many times over.”
–Dr. Paul Dorsey, President, Dulcian, Inc., Oracle Magazine PL/SQL Developer of the Year 2007, and President
Emeritus, New York Oracle Users Group
“This is a fascinating guide into the world of Oracle SQL with an abundance of well-collected examples. Without a doubt, this
book is helpful to beginners and experts alike who seek alternative ways to resolve advanced scenarios.”–Oleg Voskoboynikov, Ph.D., Database Architect
The World’s #1 Hands-On Oracle SQL Workbook–Fully Updated for Oracle 11g
Crafted for hands-on learning and tested in classrooms worldwide, this book illuminates in-depth every Oracle SQL technique you’ll need. From the simplest query fundamentals to regular expressions and with newly added coverage of Oracle’s powerful new SQL Developer tool, you will focus on the tasks that matter most. Hundreds of step-by-step, guided lab exercises will systematically strengthen your expertise in writing effective, high-performance SQL. Along the way, you’ll acquire a powerful arsenal of useful skills–and an extraordinary library of solutions for your real-world challenges with Oracle SQL.
- 100% focused on Oracle SQL for Oracle 11g, today’s #1 database platform–not “generic” SQL!
- Master all core SQL techniques including every type of join such as equijoins, self joins, and outer joins
- Understand Oracle functions in depth, especially character, number, date, timestamp, interval, conversion, aggregate, regular expressions, analytical, and more
- Practice all types of subqueries, such as correlated and scalar subqueries, and learn about set operators and hierarchical queries
- Build effective queries and learn fundamental Oracle SQL Developer and SQL*Plus skills
- Make the most of the Data Dictionary and create tables, views, indexes, and sequences
- Secure databases using Oracle privileges, roles, and synonyms
- Explore Oracle 11g’s advanced data warehousing features
- Learn many practical tips about performance optimization, security, and architectural solutions
- Avoid common pitfalls and understand and solve common mistakes
- For every database developer, administrator, designer, or architect, regardless of experience!
About the Author
Alice Rischert, formerly chair of Columbia University’s Database Application Development and Design program, has taught classes in Oracle SQL, PL/SQL, and database design to hundreds of students. Ms. Rischert’s wide-ranging technology experience encompasses systems integration, database architecture, and project management for a number of companies in the United States, Europe, and Asia. Ms. Rischert has presented on SQL and PL/SQL topics at Oracle conferences and has worked with Oracle since version 5.