Having owned the original Operation Flashpoint and both expansion packs on the PC as well as ARMA, I had been looking forward to owning the new game on PS3 so that I wouldn't have to play games on PC anymore, that was until I bought it and found from playing it that the original developers - Bohemia Interactive, had nothing to do with this game.
Essentially you can't compare this game to any other war game on a console because it is a simulation.
If you want to run around along a set route, get shot 5 times but still live and be able to carry on killing people then dont buy this.
If you want a realistic war simulation with HUGE landscapes and a certain degree of 'go anywhere do anything' then this is the game for you.
Anyone suggesting that COD4 or Modern Warfare is a better game is probably 14 years old and hasn't even played this game.
This game however is no match for the original - which i still continue to play, nearly 10 years on.
Codemasters do not own the rights to the original game or any sequal and only own the rights to the name 'Operation Flashpoint', a disagreement between them and Bohemia Interactive has seen them release a game that is inferior to the original PC game which is now nearly 10 years old - however that game was one of the best ever made so that doesnt make this one terrible.
There are a large number of issues with this game that were some of the best things about the old game.
1. This game is quite short, I played on normal difficulty and completed it in 7 hours over 3 evenings, the original game took me around a month to complete each of the 3 parts.
2. Ordering your troops to do things is frustrating and time consuming, the original game allowed you 10 to 20 troops that you could split up and send to to different things, it is virtually impossible to get your troops to separate here.
3. Vehicles, the original game allowed you to jump into and drive ANYTHING, this game limits your vehicles to U.S. vehicles and the odd chinese one, i havent been able to drive any civilain vehicles or find any boats that i can drive.
4. During story mode there is limited movement across the island. Why make such a big landscape if you cant explore it. There was no tank involvement in the story mode and the one time i came into contact with a helicopter and managed to fly it, it was entirely unrealistic and totally unenjoyable.
5. Codemasters plan to release levels and missions via playstaion story but you will have to pay for each one - another rip off. the original game - and all subsequent Bohemia Interactive games, have had patches and extra levels and missions avaliable for download for free.
6. Yes getting out of a vehicle to find other troops get in and driving off was frustrating to say the least!
7. The storyline was a bad attempt to rip off of ARMA2, it had no flow or follow on and one mission seemed to have nothing to do with the next.
8. There is no way to explore the landscape. The original game allowed you to use boats, planes, motorbikes, bicycles, tanks, civilian cars, helicopters.... to go anywhere and do anything, and when completing the game you were able to do this without enemy troops to meet up with friends to go to the pub! It was good!!
9. the list goes on but i'll stop here....
Essentially this is a PS3 game not a PC game so it is still good but dont expect to buy this and have a game like the original, if you want that buy ARMA2. If you want the a good war simulation for a console system this is good.
However Codemasters should have let Bohemia Interactive develop the game, it would have been much better for it.
That said i'm still glad i bought it, it just wish it was better.
I have come to realise that the PC still has a place for gaming that consoles cant match.
If you dont have experience of the original PC version and want a realistic sim, then yes.
If you want a better version of the original PC version buy ARMA2
If you want to run round getting shot and not dying buy something else altogether.
A lazy attempt from codemasters but still an above average game.
Have just gone back to play again, the online mode doesn't work properly, there are no civilians anywhere in the game and worst of all, I went to replay the story and didn't want to!!
I can't change my rating but if i could it would be 3 at the most.