The John Cassavetes Collection
OPENING NIGHT (DVD + Blu-ray)
A film by John Cassavetes
Broadway actress Myrtle Gordon (Gena Rowlands) rehearses for her latest play about a woman in denial at the onset of her autumn years. When Myrtle witnesses the accidental death of an adoring young fan, it leads to a crisis of confidence in both her professional and her personal life which threatens to undermine the whole production.
Featuring a startling and compelling performance by Gena Rowlands, which won her the Silver Bear for Best Actress in 1978, Opening Night is arguably one of John Cassavetes' most self-reflexive works and offers an insightful and intriguing evocation of the theatrical experience from both side of the proscenium.
- Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
- Audio commentary by Tom Charity, Mike Ferris and Bo Harwood
- Memories of John (Doug Headline, 2012, 29 mins, DVD only)
- Falk on Cassavetes: the later years (Paul Joyce, 2012, 14 mins, DVD only)
- Fully illustrated booklet featuring interviews and essays from Tom Charity, Al Ruban and Peter Bogdanovich
USA | 1977 | colour | English language, with optional English hard-of-hearing subtitles | 144 minutes | Original aspect ratio 1.85:1
Disc 1: BD50 | 1080p | 24fps | PCM mono audio (48k/16-bit)
Disc 2: DVD9 | PAL | Dolby Digital mono audio (320kbps)
Region 2 PAL DVD
Region B Blu-ray