Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 January 2013
This book read well and I honestly thought I was at the edge of the battle itself, it's not often you can totally immerse yourself and actually feel your actually there. Such was the power of this book! I complement the author on his skill, research and well structured composition and I am in awe of what I have read.

This subject matter can be taken in so many ways and I honestly believe this is what could have happened if events turned out differently. I can't fault the detail, the structure or the storyline as it was exciting, tense and fast moving. If the makers of 'Band of Brothers' are looking for a new project then look no further!

I'm looking forward to 'Breakthrough' so much and the addition of a biography is a nice touch which I also purchased. Certainly once I get some pocket money saved I will be looking to buy the hard copy of 'Opening Moves' for my library so impressed was I with this. Well done to the author for including mentions of the 'Scot's' as well. You won't be disappointed with this read and such was the flow of words you couldn't but help be immersed in all the action. Fantastic!
on 20 August 2013
I don't often write reviews, but this series (I've read up to #3) has been bloody awesome! :)
Treats reader like an adult, yes it's damn gory, it's WAR, and nothing is more ugly in detail as the atrocity of war is, as it should always be *shown*

the people on all sides are shown as "real" people, heroism, guile, honour, mercy etc can be found on sides in the novel as in real life, and same with the scumbags or more often as it really is, folk who've went mad with the horror who then create more horror and that then may start reprisals for their deeds

great attention to detail, important for a history buff like myself, and it has the Scots (and many others of course), so hey it hits the right notes for me ;)

some folk may not like the fact the author has some of the S.S. as *protagonists* but he's quite right to do so, they weren't all monsters and they were the best fighting unit there was, see their casualty ratios, Germans invented the first combined arms military and that's why we got our arses handed to us early on, so in the horrible, all out war Stalin sets off (in the novel) you would have to use the Waffen S.S. by sheer necessity
that's the kind of situations the ugliness of war creates

the characters are very believable and of all sorts. the battles frantic, terrifying, chaotic and not "Hollywood"

very worth a read! :)
on 21 January 2016
This was a free offering on Amazon, and for that I commend the author. I have gone on to buy all of the next books, and can hardly wait for the next one. It is a massive achievement, dealing with political matters, high command, unit command, down to small units and individuals in combat. A different decision by Stalin in 1945, and this could have been reality. Stupendous.
on 4 December 2015
This book was recommend to me by a friend, and I'm so glad he did. What a truly superb piece of literature. For anyone who is into military fiction, i cannot recommend this book highly enough. The battle scenes the author creates are graphic to say the least, but it gives certainly this reader the sense of being there. Brilliant book, can't wait to get stuck into book two.
on 28 December 2012
At last, an alt-hist war novel that succefully tells the story of a war that never was from the Private's trench to the map tables of the Generals. It has the earthy combat detail of a 70's war novel (Kessler/Hassel) or Marching Through Georgia by Sterling; operational map based battle descriptions of WW2 historians such as Michael Reynolds, topped off with strategic overviews that pull all the pieces together at the right moments. I am very pleased that Amazon highlighted this and I am looking forward to reading the next book(s) in the series and fighting out battles from this alt hist on the wargames table.

Just to point out that I was almost going to award a lower rating. The maps contained in the text have not been "drawn" at a high enough resolution to read on the Kindle app for the iPad. This was disappointing as, for a full enjoyment of the battle descriptions, the reader is required to follow the action by way of a number of maps. However, I discovered that all the maps are reproduced in colour on the authors website. Great customer service. All that's missing are some maps covering whole sectors of the front with broad brush indications of where various divisions and corps are at any one time.
on 7 January 2013
An excellent read, totally believable, well researched, good characterisation. One very minor complaint... too much information in the listing of Soviet units..i.e 397th regt of 12th Guards Army which to the average reader means little or nothing
on 28 December 2012
I have to say, I really enjoyed this book. The concept of a 1945 Soviet invasion of Western Europe's pretty cool, and it's handled well by the author. The book's clearly a labour of love, and the plans for rest of the series suggest that it's well-planned and researched. The battle scenes were very good, with plenty of action, and they were usually easy enough to follow, even without the slightly too small maps (that's the fault of the Kindle format, not the author). Characters were better than I usually see in an alternate-history work, with details fleshing out even minor individuals. It was also nice to see both sides given their fair due. Far too often I read about cackling Germans/Russians/Japanese with no redeeming features, capable of only brutality and aggression. Well done Mr Gee for recognising that the Russians are human too!
There were a few minor points that I didn't enjoy, though many of these are subjective. I felt that the 1940's setting didn't come across strongly: it was hard to remember that this was all taking place in the aftermath of WWII, rather than in the more common late-80's period. Secondly, the sections when Eisenhower is reflecting on the day's events were too long; ultimately it boiled down to "Russians doing well here, Allies holding here", rather than the overly-detailed breakdown of the front. The same goes for the order of battle that we get before a big fight; it's nice that we know who's engaging who, and it's indicative of the amount of work that's gone in, but perhaps an appendix at the back? Lastly, during the battle scenes (which are otherwise superb) the insistence on referring to the order of battle means that sometimes the action comes across as a bit clinical.
Overall, though, Red Gambit: Opening Moves stands head and shoulders above the usual gamut of alternate history, and is easily better than Red Storm Rising! The concept is sound and well-thought out, the "bad guys" are equally as valorous as the "good guys", and the battle scenes are exciting and brutal. I just finished Opening moves this morning, about an hour ago, and I've already started the next in the series!

As an aside, I'm not one to nitpick the details, but I did notice two mistakes that kept popping up again and again: it's 'Marshal' not 'Marshall' for the ilitary rank - an over-zealous spellchecker I think - and the Soviets never called the Mosin-Nagant rifle the 'Nagant'; it's simply known as the 'Mosin', as Nagant was a Belgian who contributed little to the overall design, and Lt. Sergei Mosin was a Russian, so pride dictates that the rifle's the Mosin, when Russians refer to it.
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2014
I think I have already reviewed the other books in this series. I love this series, probably the best alternative history books set around 1945ish I have ever read.

Very highly recommended.
on 9 October 2012
This is an enjoyable alternative history for fans of military fiction. The author has very obviously done a lot of research and I suspect only an expert on 1945 weaponry could find errors without looking very hard for them. The story flows nicely, more in the style of Sir John Hackett than early Tom Clancy or Larry Bond. Where I hope the author will improve in volume two, is replacing the lack of strategic maps, and enlarging the tactical maps that he does give which are too small to be read on Kindle. I would have given 5 stars but for the unfortunate continuous repetition of certain phrases such as "handled badly" and his determination that each commander is going to ensure that every one of his fallen troops is acknowledged and remembered. That said, this book should appeal to readers of Bond, Clancy, Coyle etc. Certainly worth the money!
on 22 November 2013
A really good alternative WW3 storyline, with well constructed characters and a plot that actually does not ask you to suspend all belief - its also perhaps closer to the truth (regarding the post WW2 tensions) than many may think.....
Excellent series.