Format: PaperbackChange

on 27 February 2015
Walking the GR10 across the Pyrenees has been my dream, which I hope to realize this year. So I have been reading books about it.This is a great story of how to walk in the Pyrenees. Would have liked more details concerning the route, though. Still the atmosphere is great and you get a feel of what it is like. Unfortunately you still need a map and a guidebook to follow his route...
on 12 November 2009
For those who have a spirit of adventure the GR10 long distance footpath and this book is for you.
I just loved it and have recently finished re-reading it.
Not only could I picture exactly where and what Steve Cracknell is describing, but I also greatly enjoyed his humour and all the extra information regarding local customs, history and general explanations surrounding the trek from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean along the French side of the Pyrenees.
I would recommend it to anyone who has or intends to attempt this hike, as the book brings it all back to life, without the pain and exhaustion!
on 30 October 2013
In September this year I completed the GR 10. I started it by accident in 2011 while walking a "Camino", walked from St Jean Pied de Port to Irun. Early 2012 while doing research on the GR 10 I came across this book and bought it. It filled me with excitement for what lay ahead of me. I could compare the first five days I had completed with his fantastic account.

In 2012 I spent 36 days walking GR 10. When I came home I constantly referred to his book to obtain facts and to re-create fantastic memories. In 2013 I finished the last 9 days of this journey. While walking this last part of the journey I kept a blog www.dermotdolan.blogspot.ie so some of my friends could follow my journey but one of them who had read Steve Cracknell's book followed my journey by reading the daily section of his book. He said it was like walking the journey with me.

Whether you ever physically walk this journey or not you can travel it any time by reading this book. Now go on this magical journey and some day you might actually walk it.
on 22 October 2013
The beginning of the book was a little heavy, but improved as the story progressed. The author has made some useful research into some contentious issues in the Pyrenees presenting it in a fair manner. We could have been spared the description of his foot problems!
on 10 July 2014
Excellently written acoount of the crossing of the Pyrenees. Shows that there is no need to carry a tent on the GR 10. Useful tips as well. Excellent reading for those who are still in doubt.
on 1 May 2013
Steve Cracknell described his travel and hiking from coast to coast in the French Pyrenees in a lovelly way. It's hard to put the book down and i finished it in a few days.
This book give you a good view of the life in the French Pyrenees.
on 7 November 2013
I read this book avidly as I am planning to do some of the same walk. It is a lovely overview of the GR10 with lots of added political, historical and relevant facts to keep the reader interested.
on 12 May 2015
As I was going to the Pyrenees to do soem walking I loved this book, humerous as well as usful & informative
on 6 July 2012
In 2000 I walked the entire GR10 from Atlantic - Med but I did it with a friend. It was by far the best long distance walk I have ever done (and I have done a few) but doing it alone is hard core!
As general background info we did it with camping kit which we cursed on many occasions but in some sections such as the Ariege it was essential. You will find some snow patches at any time of year but this is a walk not a climb.
Beware of Fos. It is the last village before the empty Ariege and when we went there we found that the food shop had closed down. All that was left is a bakery so we lived on stale bread for several days. Dont rely on Fos for supplies!
on 16 November 2013
It's not a word you often need, "odious," but it's the only one that describes this unpleasant little book. Cracknell manages to exemplify all the worst of the smug, feeble middle-class British sensibility and take it with him along every tedious step of his walk through the hills. I can't recall despising a narrator this much in years. It was like hiking along with one's aged Muswell Hill Road landlady.
22 comments1 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse