on 17 February 2012
My first impressions of the chain are good. The links are chunky, and it has reassuring weight without being ludicrously heavy. One of the end links is extra long so you can pass one end through the other, making locking much simpler, which is a great feature. The included sleeve is also well made, with velcro straps so it doesn't slide off the ends, and an embroidered logo that looks like it will last. The padlock it alright, but the weakest part of the package. Its design makes locking tricky because you can't hook it through the links then lock it, you have to half turn the key, then hook the chain through, then close the lock. The lock also doesn't feel quite as solid as the chain, and looks like it might be pryable if you could get at it from the right angle. It also rattles slightly, though I don't carry it on my bike. Overall though it's very good, especially at this price.

One thing to be careful of is that this chain is *short*. I have a very large frame and 26" wheels, and I can only just get it around the front wheel, through the frame and round a railing. Not a problem for me, it's more secure to use the shortest chain possible, but if you're using it for just the front wheel and frame some might appreciate the convenience of an extra 20cm. This lock isn't getting around any lamp posts.

This would make a very good primary lock for an entry level bike, or somewhere low risk. If you're in a city centre or ride a really nice bike, get a good D-lock as well. Use this for the front wheel, the D-lock for the back wheel, and put both through the frame. From experience I know that skimping on locks is a serious false economy.
on 21 November 2012
I hate bike thieves.
I'd be fine with chopping off their fingers as a punishment instead of jail. Not that they go to jail very much.

Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest, this is a pretty good lock that I'm happy to use as a secondary lock on a daily basis in a fairly high risk area.

DON'T USE CABLE LOCKS.
A chain like this will offer much better protection for a similar price tag. Cable locks really aren't worth bothering with as even armoured ones can be cut surprisingly easily and quietly with small hand tools. To get a chain like this off you would most likely need power tools or a large bolt cutter, neither of which would be particularly subtle in a public place.

This chain seems good quality, is confidence inspiring and looks sturdy enough to hopefully make a thief walk on. The tough fabric covering will help stop your frame being scratched.
The price tag is low, and while the chain is good, money seems to have been saved on the disc lock. It's ok but has a bit of a cheap feel, it could always be upgraded of course.
I find the lock a bit fiddly to use as it's a little hard to hold the links in the disc lock while turning the key and also holding the lock. The chain is short which means there is only just enough room to use it through the frame, front wheel and bike rack.
This is good as it means there is less very little space for a thief to work, and you are more likely to have the chain safely up off the ground where it is less vulnerable. The down side is that it may narrow your options with regard to locking locations.

I use this as a second lock on the front wheel and frame, with an expensive ABUS Granit-X Plus U-lock through the back wheel and frame.
I still have my bike and both wheels.
on 20 May 2013
I bought this chain for my new bike,i use together with Kriptonite,and cable.
Heavy duty chain.I think good value.Recomended.
And speedy delivery from Amazon.Great.