Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 May 2005
The combined text and illustrations in this book are totally captivating for both adults and children. The story and pictures start off very grey and ordinary, but as the humourous and skilful writing cleverly moves the story forward and the characters listen to music and begin to create stories in their minds, the illustrations come alive with colour and charm. The pages of pictures without words allow the reader to enter into the character's world and to develop their own ideas about what the ordinary boy can see and hear. My class of 28, 5 and 6 year olds were so captivated by the book that they want to do their own story writing to music! What more could an 'ordinary' book hope to achieve, but to inspire young children to write?
on 14 May 2006
My 3 and 5 year olds loved this book. We read it frequently for weeks after borrowing it from our local library, and now I think we should have our own copy. They loved the repetition and routine of the ordinary day and how it becomes extraordinary. They loved the language and were intrigued by the sudden change into colourful illustrations from the black and white. It is a wonderful book, one of the most memorable that I have read with my boys.
on 1 August 2014
This is a nice story with lots of repetition which the children in my class started to join in with. Does use the term 'ordinary pee' which I changed slightly when I read it to the class. The pages start off really dull and as the little boy enjoys his day more the pages become more colourful. Great story about a teacher who changes an ordinary day into an exciting one. My class asked if we could have some music playing as we worked.
on 23 March 2009
I've read this story to a range of children 4-8 and they love it. (So do the other adults in the class!) It leads to lots of discussion and inspirational ideas. A lovely story.
on 24 September 2009
This is a beautiful book. On an otherwise rather dull and grey day, a rather strange supply teacher turns up at school and transforms school, for one particular boy, into a day filled with colour, wonder and creativity. The book is filled with the most wonderful pictures by Satoshi Kitamara, which tell most of the story. There are very few words to read as a result. Every teacher should have a copy to remind themselves to make each day a wonder and not a boring dull one! A great book - I'm surprised there aren't more reviews for it. Age group - lots to talk about - so any!
on 5 November 2009
I really loved that book and as I am an French English teacher I bought 25 of it and studied it with one of my classes. The kids loved it!!!
on 26 March 2011
Did an assembly for junior aged kids. They loved the story an the illustrations - like I did. A terrific book for children of all ages.
on 20 July 2011
I loved reading this book and although it's a children's book, which my little ones enjoyed, I found it also thought provoking for teachers when thinking about teaching styles and engaging children in their learning.
on 23 February 2014
I used it as part of my church service. The illustrations and story were very interesting and relevant to all ages. This is a book that can be read over and over
on 31 December 2013
Was a gift for a young boy who is desperate to learn to read. Gave him it for Christmas.
Thanks.