* The second part of Ace's two-volume salute to the godfather of Rhythm & Blues picks up from where "Midnight In the Barrelhouse" left off, covering the years 1959-1976.
* Johnny found that he was fighting a losing battle as R&B began to get pushed off the charts by early 60s pop and, subsequently, Mersey Beat. But he still made great music whether the public bought it or not, and "On With The Show" contains many of the most enduring Otis classics in Johnny's massive catalogue, such as `Castin' My Spell', `Crazy Country Hop' and `Mumblin' Mosie'.
* The second half of the CD chronicles Johnny's creative renaissance via the 1969 "Cold Shot" album and its chart single `Country Girl'. It also features early groundbreaking performances by his teenage son and nascent guitar hero, Shuggie and several cuts that have latterly become much played rarities on the funk and jazz scenes.
* Johnny Otis turns 90 three days before the start of 2012. It's to be hoped that Ace's two CD career overview will serve as both a belated birthday card and the kind of salute that will draw people towards the many other great Otis CDs that are available on Ace and elsewhere.
* Also available: MIDNIGHT AT THE BARRELHOUSE ~
THE JOHNY OTIS STORY VOL1 (CDCHD 1312)
CD = The Johnny Otis Story Vol.2 : 1957-1974